Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farmer6.7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
Looking to order a 27" iMac and I was wondering where the best place to buy is. I will probably just order from Apple unless I get told otherwise.

The machine I want is: (I will upgrade the ram myself) Does anyone know if this configuration is shipping quickly, or if there is still a delay.

• 3.4GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
  • 8GB 2400MHz DDR4
  • 512GB SSD
  • Radeon Pro 570 with 4GB video memory
Thank You!

passingapple

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2012
For US, if you want a peripheral customization in general (e.g. swiping Magic mouse 2 with trackpad 2 for $50) on top of the normal configuration, Apple is the only choice. EDIT: B&H does seem to offer $30 numeric key upgrade. No idea on if it is flexible for other international key options besides US English like Apple, but they don't ship imac internationally anyway. The best deal is obviously during back to school period with education discount - if one is eligible -, followed by black Friday/cyber Monday (Apple is known to have a very lukewarm promotion, however, if they have any at all).

If you are fine with included mouse/compact keyboard and going for tax-free, B&H/Adorama (except NY/NJ) and Powermax (except OR). Adorama has additional $75 promotion (as of this writing) but 512GB SSD is on back-order with no estimate date. In comparison, it takes about as short as 10 days if ordering directly from Apple right now. And if ordering from authorized reseller, one should check return policy before placing an order.

BTW I wrote a similar post on the configuration option on authorized resellers about a week ago here, although not much response as there isn't much :
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...stores-with-ssd-and-trackpad-options.2057834/

Last edited:

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
For US, if you want a peripheral customization (e.g. swiping Magic mouse 2 with trackpad 2 and/or getting magic keyboard w/ numeric) on top of the normal configuration, Apple is the only choice. The best deal is obviously during back to school period with education discount - if one is eligible -, followed by black Friday/cyber Monday (Apple is known to have a very lukewarm promotion, however, if they have any at all).

If you are fine with included mouse/compact keyboard and going for tax-free, B&H/Adorama (except NY/NJ) and Powermax (except OR). Adorama has additional $75 promotion (as of this writing) but 512GB SSD is on back-order with no estimate date. In comparison, it takes about as short as 10 days if ordering directly from Apple right now. And if ordering from authorized reseller, one should check return policy before placing an order.

can the EDU discount be taken on top of the back-to-school action for the "masses"?

JD Shaw

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2017
North Carolina
"If you want a peripheral customization (e.g. swiping Magic mouse 2 with trackpad 2 and/or getting magic keyboard w/ numeric) on top of the normal configuration, Apple is the only choice."

Incorrect. B&H has numerous Magic Keyboard w/numeric ("Keypad") special order configuration options on their website. Trackpad 2 is always in stock as a separate item.

passingapple

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2012
"If you want a peripheral customization (e.g. swiping Magic mouse 2 with trackpad 2 and/or getting magic keyboard w/ numeric) on top of the normal configuration, Apple is the only choice."

Incorrect. B&H has numerous Magic Keyboard w/numeric ("Keypad") special order configuration options on their website. Trackpad 2 is always in stock as a separate item.

Um NO, you are incorrect, JD.

You cannot change the default magic keyboard to the one with numeric for extra $30 when ordering mid-2017 imac 27" on B&H's website. Don't know if it is allowed if called/asked via chat or ordering in store directly, but there is NO configuration option for peripherals on the website and one will have to buy them separately, whether it is magic key w/numeric or trackpad 2.

Try again:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1342558-REG/apple_mne92ll_a_27_imac_with_retina.html

JD Shaw

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2017
North Carolina
Um NO, you are incorrect, JD.

You cannot change the default magic keyboard to the one with numeric for extra $30 when ordering mid-2017 imac 27" on B&H's website. Don't know if it is allowed if called/asked via chat or ordering in store directly, but there is NO configuration option for peripherals on the website and one will have to buy them separately, whether it is magic key w/numeric or trackpad 2.

Um. Yes.
100% certain.
So certain that I am ordering one in two weeks - with Extended Magic Keyboard (called "keypad").
B&H #: APIMMNE927K
Apple #: ZOTP-MNE927-NK
It's right there on the website. Really. No joke.

Last edited:

passingapple

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2012

No such stuff comes up for B&H #: APIMMNE927K; Apple #: ZOTP-MNE927-NK.

I was going to just leave it at that and move on as I'd already ordered mine from Apple directly; I'd hate to provide wrong info for folks here, so I went there to investigate.

What I found is that no, there is no peripherals configuration options for main imac product configuration pages, confirming what I wrote. See the link I provided above.

But one can indeed choose key w/ numeric, just have to work harder to filter it due to the wonky and less-than-optimal B&H's website. To do this, one will need to use left column filter (starting from main imac page, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/iMac/ci/6490/N/4110474295 ), to filter out the spec he/she wants, screen size, CPU, storage, etc, then you may see the options that way. Still not clear but you should be able to tell because you should end up with only two options, the same spec only separated by $30 difference. JD could've provided a clearer method for this, but there you go, folks.

For US folks who don't mind mouse but really want the numeric key, B&H is an option then. They can choose that or just go with the default key and save $75 further by choosing Adorama.
http://prices.appleinsider.com/27-imac-retina-5k-display-mid-2017

Keep in mind that, ordering from authorized resellers, will result in much slower delivery on popular options like 512GB SSD. It's probably close to a month or longer compare to 10-14 days from Apple directly (estimate they give you is 2-3 weeks now, but it gets shipped faster). But for some folks, that may be worth saving tax.

Last edited:
Reactions: willmtaylor

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
Apple store with EDU discount + free Beats (which you can flip on ebay) is the best deal right now. With taxes it's still a better value than BH.

passingapple

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2012
Apple store with EDU discount + free Beats (which you can flip on ebay) is the best deal right now. With taxes it's still a better value than BH.

BTW if one is dead set on selling the brand new Beats solo 3 on ebay outright, don't get the black ones. Those two are quite saturated and you would be luck to get even half amount of retail after ebay/paypal, shipping fees. The best bet is probably Rose Gold (pink), followed by Silver or Red. Even with those, after all the fees, maybe one will get around $140-170 return. Perhaps similar amount as sale tax. I live in one of two states that B&H/Adorama charges the sales tax AND i wanted the trackpad 2 (already got a magic mouse 1), I had no choice in the matter. :)

If it were me, I'd probably just use it myself -even if I have two headphones already, one being Bose QC35, or give it to someone as a gift though. It's not too bad, super-overpriced if trying to buy outright, yes. But the battery life is quite decent.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
This would be incorrect.

that's exactly my doubt: usually for backtoschool there is an in-store 10-11% discount for everyone who walks in, but it lasts only couple of weeks i think, before schools start. On the other hand, the EDU discount is up to 14% and is year-round for academic purposes. My question was if the EDU 14% is considered on-top of 10% during back to school actions?

Basically if i buy a product and supply and EDU address during backtoschool action, what is the total discount applied?

dannycarson

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2017
that's exactly my doubt: usually for backtoschool there is an in-store 10-11% discount for everyone who walks in, but it lasts only couple of weeks i think, before schools start. On the other hand, the EDU discount is up to 14% and is year-round for academic purposes. My question was if the EDU 14% is considered on-top of 10% during back to school actions?

Basically if i buy a product and supply and EDU address during backtoschool action, what is the total discount applied?

Yeah, I doubt we will be given "backtoschool" discount on top of Edu email discount. At least, as far as I have exerienced they only get the best discount. And for those non college folks who need an edu email you can check out this post, used to work sometime back for me and some other guys here

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Assuming you live in US - B&H doesn't collect state sales tax, except if you live in NY or NJ. Apple collects all state sales tax on their website orders.
I don't want to be that guy. If you do not get it is not collected during the order, you need to report it on your taxes and have it collected then.

jonh229

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2013
But one can indeed choose key w/ numeric, just have to work harder to filter it due to the wonky and less-than-optimal B&H's website. To do this, one will need to use left column filter (starting from main imac page,
Thanks for this little tidbit, you just saved me $75.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.