Best place to get 1st gen touch battery replaced?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by raysfan81, Feb 3, 2010.

1. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

My 1st gen iPod touch 16gig has started running out of battery quite quickly. I have seen the degeneration myself and it has been over time not instantly. So I figured I need to get the battery replaced. Of course its out or warranty and so Apple would be quite expensive. I found this website http://www.ipodjuice.com/ipod-touch-battery-replacement-products.htm and wondered if anyone had used it and if it's legit. Thanks.

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i don't know what site you are talking about but ifixit is good.

3. raysfan81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

Um the site is linked above. Supposedly they replace the battery for you... or something.

4. Malithion macrumors member

Malithion

ifixit is DIY but if you're technically inclined shouldn't be too bad. I think for the touch there some soldering involved, that makes it a little harder.

5. raysfan81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

I know I COULD do it but i'm not sure I really want to because if I break it would be an expensive mistake. :D

6. Malithion macrumors member

Malithion

True! lol. I'd take it to the apple store, see what price they say, then look for other places around town. Depending if anyone else does it you could compare prices for the repair.

7. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Although Apple's own iPod/iPhone repair service tends to run about double what third-party services seem to be willing to do it for ($80 vs. $40), I believe that Apple's modus-operandi when it comes to battery "replacements" is that they simply take your $80 and your old iPod and replace the entire iPod with a nice, freshly-refurbished one. :p

So the cost of their service might well be worth it if that's true...if you have an iPod with scratches or other blemishes, in addition to getting the battery replaced, you will also have a new-looking iPod as well. :)

-- Nathan

8. Laura123 macrumors newbie

ipodjuice/milliamp is legit

They are legit. Used them twice - no issues, great service, friendly people. They have a video showing their work place, which is something a scam operation would never do.

9. levinson macrumors newbie

Replace battery

This is an old thread but i thought I'd post for anyone looking for a battery replacement these day. I used digiexpress to fix the home button on my touch, good service, prompt communications, inexpensive... I would recommend them for any repairs. Oh, yeah, they fixed the button free, it was just poorly connected. I did pay postage and their diagnostic fee, but they could have said parts needed replacing and charged me more, but they didn't cheat me. So I recommend them.

10. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Sounds like a good bookmark to keep for the DIY-impaired like myself :eek: