Best Place to Get Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by apcpa2000, Nov 28, 2007.

1. apcpa2000 macrumors member

apcpa2000

I will be receiving my first Mac on Friday, and I want to install VM Fusion to run windwos so i can get into my Symantec VPN at work. I was curios what the best place to find the most affordable copy of windows was. I hate to spend 2 grand on a Mac and then have to dump another $250 just to get into work files.

Will an OEM version work.

Thanks.

2. dtdrpepper macrumors newbie

OEM - Yes

IMO ebay is a good place to buy (choose a reputable seller)

newegg.com sells OEM also

3. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

eBay or as the previous person mentioned, any reputable store.

If you go to newegg and get an OEM version of XP or Vista - they might REQUIRE you to have to purchase some hardware. This is down to MS's agreement for companies such as newegg to be able to sell OEM software.

Take a look - and see whats the best offer ;)

pac

:D

4. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i purchased windows xp pro sp2 oem from newegg with no hardware purchase requirement... it was also my first ever purchase from newegg so i had no hardware purchases previous to the windows purchase either

5. jaypunkrawk macrumors member

I have a great copy of Windows XP that I bought back when it came out...wish there was some way to attach SP2 to my install disk so I could use it. Any ideas?

6. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

7. spank2223 macrumors member

newegg or check techbargains.com for latest prices. OEM is the only OS software I buy and no hardware requirements.

8. Too Many Toys macrumors member

I've bought a number of OEM copies from VioSoftware.com without buying anything else, like hardware. Fast service too, usually shows up in a couple of days.

9. thecheat619 macrumors newbie

Basically what you are asking for is to slipstream sp2 with Windows XP. It can be done, but you need to do it on a windows box. There are a number of sites on the net that tell you how to accomplish this. Here is one I found real quick with google:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

Mark.

10. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

Vista on the Macbook pro

I bought Vista Business Edition for $33 shipped. Luckily I'm still a member of the MSDN Academic Alliance.

Anyways, I chose vista becuase it's the more Forward-looking of the 2 evils. Hey, at least it uses direct x to do all the GUI movements - I wonder where they got the idea for that from???? :rolleyes: ;)

Rumors are the Sp1 for Vista is to boost it's network speed by 40% - I'd like to see this. As it is, Vista using IE7 seems to load web pages Much faster than Safari or Firefox on the Leopard side on my MBP. It's about a second or two of a difference, which doesn't sound like a lot but once you experience it, it really does seem much faster. :confused:

Since is doesn't sound like you have this option, Newegg or TigerDirect seem to be the way to go for your situation.

11. jaypunkrawk macrumors member

Thanks Mark! I will check into that. I'd hate to have to buy Windows again...ugh.