Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I'm interested to have an app made, it's for me personally, so there are a lot of things I can be flexible about that might make it more easily approved or to make. It's a customized (but simpler) version of a now-discontinued (with ios 10) pedometer app, with no concern about it having or producing an income or running ads or anything like that.

I realize that it might not make sense to spend money on this, rather than find something on the app store that will "work" but after years of wishing and thinking about this (and using the top 8 other apps available now), I'm looking to find out just what it might cost, from start to finish. Something to use with an iPhone, it doesn't need to work with the watch if that matters.

If anyone would have an idea, (I realize only a very, very rough idea can be suggested without tons more detail) or if anyone would have an idea the best place to look for someone to ask/hire, I'd appreciate it. As you can see I've been on this forum for years, and am an older guy, so this is a serious inquiry and up until now every Apple-related question that I didn't solve with Google has been answered on this forum, which is why I'm asking here.

Thanks!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
What kind of features and complexity are we talking? I'm still a learner, but if the app is simple enough I might be able to do it. If not, and you need more experienced (and expensive) wisdom, well, I'd recommend reaching out to students in cs classes since that's probably the only way you'll get away with this without spending more money on this than what would make sense for a single person

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
What kind of features and complexity are we talking? I'm still a learner, but if the app is simple enough I might be able to do it. If not, and you need more experienced (and expensive) wisdom, well, I'd recommend reaching out to students in cs classes since that's probably the only way you'll get away with this without spending more money on this than what would make sense for a single person

This is the app that I miss...

https://www.iphoneappsfinder.com/video/pedometer-ultimate-gps/

It's by Viaden Mobile, they are still in business, but didn't make the app work with iOs11, and it's not available in the US App Store (not sure if it's available in other countries, but I doubt it with iOs 11).

Years ago there were a lot of walking/tracking apps that were just versions of this, I don't know who made the original version, but it was simple, tracked by GPS and kept a map and a history and time. Now all the apps that were barely disguised versions of this (almost exact same user interface) disappeared with IOS11.

I just want the GPS, map, and record keeping features of the app, and can't believe that I can't find something simple to use that does the same thing, even when paying a high app price or subscription. (I never even LOOK at prices when shopping for apps that might work for me, so I don't hesitate to sign up or buy anything that even seems like it might be interesting).

Anyway, I don't know if there is something that can be copied from the old one, or why exactly they stopped it for ios11 because they can't put adds in or what, but in my unusual situation money isn't a huge barrier, ads aren't important, and I'm not trying to appeal to anyone but myself, which I'm hoping makes this simpler or closer to possible.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
From the sound of things and the link provided, the MapMyWalk app might fill the need. Free, and syncs with MyFitnessPal app for calorie tracking.

Or, MotionX-GPS. Not specifcally geared to fitness, but does the basics of tracking time/distance/elevation/speed. EDIT: not free, $1.99.

Both have maps.

I use both at the same time, as I find the MotionX app more accurate for distance and elevation, MMW for the guestimate at calorie burn. And even though both apps have record keeping, I still also save the info to a spreadsheet (eg. in the case of app bug causing data to be lost).

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
From the sound of things and the link provided, the MapMyWalk app might fill the need. Free, and syncs with MyFitnessPal app for calorie tracking.

Or, MotionX-GPS. Not specifcally geared to fitness, but does the basics of tracking time/distance/elevation/speed. EDIT: not free, $1.99.

Both have maps.

I use both at the same time, as I find the MotionX app more accurate for distance and elevation, MMW for the guestimate at calorie burn. And even though both apps have record keeping, I still also save the info to a spreadsheet (eg. in the case of app bug causing data to be lost).

I was hoping for a single app that saved my GPS paths and distances only within the app. I'm still interested to find someone to build me the app I want (realizing it will be expensive compared to adapting to one already in the App store)...

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

Wow... Motion-X... that's a throwback!

I remember when Motion-X was my turn-by-turn navigation on my iPhone 4S... before Apple or Google offered it. And I think it was $20 at that time.

Is it now just a hiking GPS app? I guess they couldn't compete with the big boys.

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
Hi,

There are plenty of places who will make custom apps for you.

There are plenty of companies based in the third world who will do the work comparatively cheaply, personally though I'd go for a company or freelancer who lives reasonably close by. Google is your friend! ;-) You can pop in and see them at their office and get a feel for whether they seem like they're reputable, and go round and give them an ear-bashing if they make a mess of it. If someone you trust can recommend someone then all the better.

As you rightly say, it probably won't be economical to have an app created just for yourself, although I don't know your budget. However, if you have a need that can't be met by any existing apps then think about how common your need is. If you suspect there are plenty of other people with a similar unfulfilled need then maybe look at crowd funding it. Or funding it yourself and selling it on the app store - if you're lucky you might make back your dev costs.

Once you find a likely developer, ask what information they need to give you a quote and take it from there.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Try Cyclemeter.

It was designed for cycling but you can use it for walking/ running anything. I use it to track my walking & cycling. It has maps & historical map storage & routes & logs & graphs & can link to the health app (if you're into that). It's the most comprehensive motion tracking app around.

The free version has some ads. The yearly subscription is ad free. It's awesome.

Cyclemeter Cycling Running GPS by Abvio Inc.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cyclemeter-cycling-running-gps/id330595774?mt=8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.