Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Okay
Last night I bought a Samsung 830 Sata III 128GB for my MacBook Pro mid 2012 + a caddy, because I am going to put The SSD in the optical bay or in replace the HDD with the SSD and put the HDD in the optical bay.
so which place benefits the SSD the most?

Thanks

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Replace the SSD with the spinny drive and put the hard drive in the bay

Thank you for your quick reply!
I thought the same thing, but I saw Lou from UnboxTherapy getting his HDD out to place an SSD in the optical bay and just putting the HDD back in place. That confused me

Thanks!

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
There are a couple of disadvantages to putting your HDD in the optibay:

1. Noise & vibration
2. Sudden Motion Sensor (which shuts down the heads when falling) will not work. Some HDDs have their own internal system which will work in the optibay, but not all do

And I believe that both bays are SATA2 in the 2010 models so you'll get no speed improvement by putting the SSD in the main bay.

>

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
There are a couple of disadvantages to putting your HDD in the optibay:

1. Noise & vibration
2. Sudden Motion Sensor (which shuts down the heads when falling) will not work. Some HDDs have their own internal system which will work in the optibay, but not all do

And I believe that both bays are SATA2 in the 2010 models so you'll get no speed improvement by putting the SSD in the main bay.

>
My MacBook Pro is a 2012 model so I can opt that one out. But I'd like to know more About this sudden movement sensor, do you know where I can get more information on that?
Thanks!

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
My MacBook Pro is a 2012 model so I can opt that one out. But I'd like to know more About this sudden movement sensor, do you know where I can get more information on that?
Thanks!

There is a sensor that detects sudden drops and tells the HDD to park the head and spin down immediately in order to try and prevent a head crash which could damage the platters or cause a drive failure. This only works in the main bay.

I have a mid-2012 cMBP with the HDD in the optibay, I don't know if this is a drive, caddy or port "problem" but I can't get SATA-III/6Gb speed with the optibay. Not that it matters with the 1TB, 5400rpm HDD which is slow as snot but the drive is supposed to be a 6Gb drive.

Intel 7 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel
Product: 7 Series Chipset
Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.