Best place to sell/exchange unwanted MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seb101, Dec 14, 2018.

1. seb101 macrumors member

I was fortunate enough to win an MBP in a corporate competition recently. It’s still sealed in its box because frankly, I don’t want or need it, I would however appreaciate it’s value!

I have asked the competition contact if I could have the invoice/receipt to return it to the merchant but they said it was not possible.

Does anyone have any tips for the best place to sell new & unused macs? I am highly wary of selling anything high value on eBay, last time I sold an old phone I had repeated scams attempted against me (“please post it to my brother in Lithuania”) and it took weeks to find a genuine buyer.

Will Apple stores exchange unwanted gifts? It’s worth about $3500 and with that I could get the whole family new iPads which would be much more useful!

2. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

Check out craigslist or an app like OfferUp or letgo. Craigslist and these apps allow you to sell your MBP to someone local through a face to face interaction rather than mailing the item.

3. seb101 thread starter macrumors member

How much should I expect to ‘lose’ off the retail price by selling it privately?

4. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

If its new and unopened there is no reason why you shouldn't be asking for full retail price.

5. tsukeyomi macrumors newbie

tsukeyomi

He's never gonna sell it if he does that lol

6. kebn macrumors newbie

Imo you can't sell it for full retail price because it's although it's "new", its still being sold secondhand.
    For the buyer, the purchase wouldn't come with the same amount of purchasing and refund support offered by Apple or any other retailer.

Personally, I would post it up on every web & local platform (eBay, Craiglist, letgo, Kijiji here in CA) for a hundred or two off whatever the cheapest alternative like BH or Adorama is selling it for, then be willing to go negotiate down a little if it means a promising sale.

7. Ploki macrumors 68040

:D
    What logic is there in that?
    If you can go to Apple Store and buy it without having to deal with a 2nd hand party and you can also return it in the case it doesnt work properly.
    20% off is minimum.

8. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

It cost you... nothing. You won it.

Sell it for 70% of what the "new price" would be.
    Accept a little less if offered.

You'll be that much ahead.

9. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Part of the issue if I were a buyer, is how long ago did the company actually purchase it? While it is "new" in-box, was it actually purchased long enough ago where it is outside of its 14-day return period? Is it outside the time where you can still add Apple Care+ if you chose to?

New from a retailer and new" in-box from a 3rd party (the gifting company was the second) are not the same thing. You definitely cannot ask 100% of retail and have any reasonable expectation of getting it. I think I would side with Fishrrman on 70%

Edit:

I have asked the competition contact if I could have the invoice/receipt to return it to the merchant but they said it was not possible.

Here is the red flag for me. If the gifting company cannot provide an invoice/receipt to the OP to return it to the merchant. I don't think a buyer of it could have any expectation to return it if there is an immediate issue with it (keyboard, T2, etc.)

10. BionicMan Suspended

Swappa.com is your best bet.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2018 ---
    If it was bought since black Friday, it's return is available to Apple till mid January I believe.

11. puma1552 Suspended

12. BionicMan Suspended

He can't access it. Not enough posts.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2018 ---
    There is also AppleSwap on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/appleswap/

13. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

True. But was it? Who knows when the gifting company originally "purchased" it. They may not have. They may have even received it themselves as some sort of promotional consideration.

Without a receipt showing a date of purchase, or even that you actually own it at all, will Apple even do a warranty repair?

I mean even with purchases made after Black Friday, that holiday return period only applies with proof of purchase. I don't believe you can walk in and return without some kind of proof of purchase.

Depending on how long the competition was going, when prizes where purchased, etc. It could be prior to the holiday return period and well beyond the 14-day return.

14. BionicMan Suspended

Warranty shouldn't be an issue. I've bought a MBP on Ebay and sent it in for repair with no issues.

15. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

On eBay new, boxed Macbooks tend to go for $100-200 less than MSRP and occasionally above MSRP for some reason.

16. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

What? I am glad there is a marketplace for those who feel that they need to pay that little bit extra over MSRP. Nothing like giving 110% in everything you do ;)

17. seb101 thread starter macrumors member

I agree in principle, but in reality there is the fact you can normally secure 3-5% discount/cashback on an MBP by shopping around. Additionally the buyer is assuming additional risk as I am not going to be able to exchange it on the off-chance it is faulty and they will have to hope Apple honor the warranty.

I was expecting maybe 10% off retail.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

That's too low for a brand new unopened MBP. I would sell at 85% and no less. There will be plenty of buyers willing to pay a 15% discount.

19. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Maybe so. I wouldn’t. You can get a 10% discount with educational or military store purchase. It would not be worth it to me to save an additional 5% on a laptop I could maybe not return or exchange if there is an issue. I would take a hard pass at 15%

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I to would rather still buy direct from Apple or a retail store. But there are many buyers that would purchase from a private seller for a 15% discount without second thought if it's new/unopened.

21. Camark08 macrumors member

Dude you wouldn't "lose" anything even if you sold it for 500. It really just depends when you need the money. I would go to Swappa.com and list for 2800 and call it a day

22. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

Maybe not to you, but to someone who doesn't qualify for such discounts (such as myself) 15% is significant...

23. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I qualify through the military discount in the new military store due to my service in the Navy, but from what I understand from some folks on here, they don’t even verify the .edu discount anymore.