Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Im looking to sell my Mac Pro 1,1 soon and dont have a seller's account on eBay (and cannot be bothered with the hassle) and so I am wondering where is the best place to trade in or sell my machine??

Crugga

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2010
Gumtree is free for private sellers. Ive had a few very successful sales including some pretty expensive things. Just be careful of scammers, I think be inclined to say cash on collection.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Gumtree.

Or eBay.

BUT for that i'd insist on Bank Transfer and make a deal with whoever buys it to mutually withdraw the auction bid.

This way you save some £ on fees and the bloke buying it gets it a few £ cheaper too.

For example (using made up numbers):

Sell it for £1000 on ebay, 10% fees = £900 to you all said and done.

Mutually withdraw the auction (only listing fees to pay then), knock £20 or so off ends you with £980 all said and done.

Benefits both parties then.

I'm going to have the same issue selling my Mac Pro, and ebay are not going to get the fees from it, that is for sure.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
I've had success selling a few things on Gumtree but i also get lots of spam mail. Mainly the 'im buying and sending it to my uncle abroad. I will pay you extra for international shipping' crowd. You can spot the fakes a mile off though. Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.