Best place to sell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xNYMetsx, Nov 17, 2013.

1. xNYMetsx macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro 2.9 ghz. Where is the best place to sell it?

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Assuming you're in the US based on your username, I'd say Craigslist or eBay. With craigslist you'll see a lot of lowball offers, but it's local so you won't have too many scammers. I've heard that eBay can either be quick and easy or full of scams. With eBay you take a loss with their commission and you also have to ship it. You don't have to ship with craigslist and it's usually cash. Just meet in a public place. The other thing to do is see of someone you know wants it.

3. mac8867 macrumors 6502

it is nearly impossible to sell a macintosh laptop on ebay -- I have tried 4 times with the same machine, every time some russian maffia jerks claim the auction then try to get me to confirm my paypal account user name. It's amazing the level of stupidity these jerks assume. Craig's list... at least you get controlled and legitimate offers. It would be really great if macrumors offered a place to sell.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Umm, that's what the Marketplace is.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Not every member is allowed access. You have to be a certain level :(

6. mac8867 macrumors 6502

So the Marketplace doesn't exist. Say all you want, "yes it does" "it takes 250 post and 6 months".... the fact remains, people who want to sell or buy, may perhaps not be spending their time posting on this site. But, I can see the relationship --- not.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Yeah, my bad. For some reason I thought it was a lot less. Like 10 instead of 250. :(

8. jedolley macrumors 68000

It depends on what you are aiming for... If you are aiming for "top dollar" sale then craigslist, eBay, or possibly Facebook (some cities/towns have consignment group pages). As for the Marketplace, it gives you access to a fairly large amount of people, all of which are Mac users. I find it "easier" to sell here, but you won't be getting top dollar.

I also sell on another tech related forum, but it's not Apple/Mac specific so interest varies on Mac products.

9. tinnyms3 macrumors newbie

I found it easier to sell on ebae compared to cl, there are simply more buyers, but fees are 13%. Photography forums are also good place to sell MBP, esp the 15", since it works well for their needs and workflows.

10. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

I've sold approximately 15 MBs/MBPs on Craigslist. For me it's been fantastic.

11. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

I've sold many rMBP's on craigslist too. Definitely the way to go - no chance of "returns" or scams, and you will maximize your profit.

12. Phildo macrumors member

Phildo

Which means looking around and making stupid posts just to reach the required number...

Oh wait... :D

13. jedolley macrumors 68000

I think the Craiglist route also depends on where you live... Selling a Mac in my area would be pretty difficult, actually has been difficult in the past.

14. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Yeah, you do need to be near some sort of city. But I've done it in SF suburbs, DC, cities in the southeast, etc.. As long as you're close to a populated area, Craigslist is a goldmine.

15. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

College towns are good too, particularly if they're also near metro areas.

16. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Craigslist is a hit or miss. You may get a lot of interest on it or you may get nothing at all.

17. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

Craigslist is the best if you're situated near an urban center. Just be smart about who you're dealing with and don't be desperate to sell.