iPad mini Best place to sell?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ferc Kast, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

With the October keynote's date confirmed, what is my best option to sell my first gen iPad mini? I'm hoping to offset the cost to buy the next generation.

I've mainly been holding off for Touch ID to come to it. With it does come or not, I feel it's time to replace my current one; I can see noticeable lag in some things compared to my iPhone 6. I am also eager to finally have a Retina iPad (my only iPads have been iPad 2 and iPad mini), as well as hopefully getting a higher capacity (if they change the capacities/cost offered like they did for iPhone 6.)

2. nrweaver macrumors member

Best place to sell?

I have always sold my stuff in craigslist and was able to get the most money.

I have always been patient and waited for the right buyer.

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Craigslist would be my answer. Problem with eBay is there are way too many scammers and the system in place protects the buyer.

How much do you expect to get out of it?

4. DSTOFEL, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

+1

I've been able to sell a lot of Apple Products on CL in Atlanta to help me upgrade to the next Gen product (iPad's, MBP's, iMac's). The key's for me with selling on CL have been:

-State in the Ad that you'll only respond to people who leave a phone #
    -State that you'll only accept cash
    -State that you'll meet at a secure location for the transaction (i.e. like your local bank)

I've found that if I follow these "strict" rules, that I'm able to weed out quite a few potential "scammer's" on CL. If you think about it, most people who are buying or selling on CL are "Wary" to begin with. If you are imposing strict rules on the buyer...they (and you) will feel more comfortable....you are creating a "safe" environment for both buyer and seller. It may seem counter intuitive to be so strict.....but it's the formula that I've used to success for many transactions on CL.

With this method...I get fewer responses on CL...but the ones I get are more legit! Got $400 for my 32GB Mini Retina (Cellular) 2 weeks ago.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Just plan on getting too much. iPads don't fetch like they used to.

6. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

I've used Gazelle.com twice. Top dollar? No. Safe, guaranteed, and hassle-free transaction? Definitely. The ease and peace of mind are worth the extra few bucks "lost."

7. urda, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

urda Suspended

urda

As much as people may argue otherwise, iPads still fetch a pretty penny. You just need to know where and when to sell the device. I just sold my Mini retina this week for less than 100 lower than retail. It spent about a week out on the market for sale.

Folks talking about not getting a lot back from re-selling there iPad? They started their sell point way too low, or just took quick ways out like Gazelle. If you're not willing to work for that top dollar, why should the buyer?

Pretty good deal for a device I've had for almost a year, considering it technically only cost me about 100 bucks to own :D

8. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I would go with Craigslist. There is no charge and you can meet in person, exchange cash (so there is no money trail for the IRS). I would stay far far away from Ebay. They charge huge fees and they sleep in the same bed with PayPal. PayPal has a bad bad reputation and they will report your payments to the IRS. I could write a whole blog about the dangers of Ebay. Stick with CL.

9. lotus8 macrumors member

lotus8

Swappa has been nothing short of excellent for selling in my experiences. $10 fee buyer pays, simple as that. Just sold my iPad Mini 32gb 4G for $425 and was listed for 2 days. Sold my iPhone 5 there a few weeks ago for $285.

10. darknight007316 macrumors member

I've always had great luck selling my devices on craigslist