Best places to see in prague?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by irishgrizzly, Apr 30, 2007.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I'm going there soon, any ideas as to where's fun to go wandering about?

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

*jumps up and down excitedly*
    I love prague!

The exchange rate is particularly awesome, so everything is pretty cheap.
    You should go to Dvorak. He was a playa of the compositional sort.

this place has fantastic crystal, glass, etc. I got my mom a really nice candy dish that would be $200+ in the US for about $70. Ya ya!
    The old towne square is really neat. The street vendors you can get anything from puppets (check out the puppet opera, actually!), to hot wine to WHIPS :eek: (try getting that home through customs without a few raised eyebrows). There's a really nice cafe there called the grand cafe praha, I think. It has spa cakes with sugar and nuts and... oh, I could so go for one, but they aren't sold in the US! :( The gelato on the 2nd floor is to DIE for and only about $2 USD. :)

Watch out for pickpockets, though. It's nutty.

edit:
    oh, and the Czech national bridge and the castles are AMAZING. I'll dig out pics. :)

edit again:
    at this late hour, this is the only pic I can find
    n5318805_31145953_788.jpg
    this amused us highly because we were a symphony tour group from texas. Hee. They had a confederate flag up!!

3. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

That's funny!

Did you get pick-pocketed? I just read your other post on things you fear – was wondering if it's happened or you're just scared it's going to happen :(

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

No....
    I just got teh fear scared into me by our tour guide.
    Pick pocker, pick pocker!
    and I'm a completely, irrationally paranoid person. :)
    [​IMG]
    She's so adorable! She had to sneak her husband out of the iron curtain. She hates communism so much. :D

oh man, worst. pic. ever.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Obviously you need to go see the Castle, which you can't miss from the river, and there's some black-light shows to be seen near the Charles Bridge (some live, some with puppets as Katie mentions). The Old Town is quite compact and right next to The Ghetto, two main areas you should wander around, and you could also go see some opera if you're that way inclined.

You could take one of the small river tours too. They don't last long but do give some great commentary on the buildings either side of the river.

I loved Prague when we went for New Year. It's such a great little city.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Cool!

I'm headed to Prague this summer too -- early July. I'd love to hear any recommendations.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

We visited Prague last year and had a great time. Lovely city.

I’m in agreement with visiting the castle, it’s great in itself but it also offers some fantastic views across the city. Be sure to try some traditional Czech cuisine too, it’s very hearty fare with lots of meat in it. And it goes without saying that there’s nowhere better to sample some of the famous Czech beers. ;)

8. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

there used to be a great little pizza place right next to the charles bridge - best pizza i ever tasted

9. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Prague is AMAZING!

Definitely check out the castle, especially the garden, which is beautiful and less touristy. The main castle is swamped with tourists.

Climb the tower in the cathedral, it's 300 something steps if I remember correctly and as long as you don't suffer from vertigo you should be fine. The views are amazing but it's not a great place to take pictures because it's cramped and full of tourists getting in the way.

If you go to the Royal Summer house, there's a long ledge where you can take a much better shot of you and the castle instead of the stock portrait everyone does on the Charles Bridge.

Also when you go down the Golden Road (last part of castle tour) make sure you go into the little houses - one belonged to Kafka and there's also one if you climb up and wander a bit where you can shoot a crossbow with old style arrows that's fun.

If it's warm, take some paddle boats out onto the river. I did that in '03. Lots of fun.

The largest night club in central Europe is right next to the Charles Bridge (not on the castle side)

St. Wensezlaus (sp?) Square is also beautiful. Check out the astronomical clock and if you get the chance, take a tour and visit the Jewish cemetary. It's pretty cool. It's really old and they buried graves on top of old ones so it's high up and supposedly the oldest jewish cemetary in europe or something like that.

I've also attached pictures from the royal garden that I took last year.

And buy Pashmina scarves. I bought 3 at about 9 Euros a piece. 90% cashmere and 10% silk - better than anything you'll find in the States for less than $100.

Attached Files: