Best Podcast app for iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by LadyX, Oct 17, 2012.

1. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

l'm looking for a podcast app for the iPhone. I heard and read that Apple's Podcast App is really bad and so I want to know what are some good alternatives. I'm looking for an app where I can subscribe to podcasts and get updates on new episodes.

2. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

I still download podcasts through itunes, and they are available in the music app on ios6.

I tried the podcasts app, but found it wanting.

Downcast seems favorable.

3. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

I prefer a separate app. I searched and have read reviews and it seems that Instacast, iCatcher, and Pocket Casts are the best. Has anyone used these app? Which of the three do you recommend?

4. tadde macrumors newbie

Currently using Apples own Podcast App which i find well enough for my needs. Been using Pocketcasts for many years on Android though and it is awesome.

5. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

Ask a 100 people, and you will get 100 different responses (although there aren't 100 different apps out there). :) However, I have tried many of the apps out there and I have settled on Instacast as my primary. I enjoy Instacasts clean interface, downloading and refresh speed (it can download multiple podcasts at once), push notifications of new episodes (many others have this as well), and iPhone and iPad versions of the app (even though separate expense). Coming in a close second is another favorite by most, Downcast. I find Downcast a little laggy in scrolling and its refresh doesn't seem as quick as Instacast. I also find the playback screen a little too busy and the UI a little too iOS circa 2008-2010.

Pocketcasts is a fine app, but no smart playlists, and no auto downloading of episodes is a show stopper for me. Although speaking to the dev of the app, he has assured that these features (and more) will be in an upcoming v4.0 of Pocketcasts.

Don't even get me started on the total screw-up that Apple's podcast app has been to date. :)

6. chrisvee macrumors regular

I use Instacast. I tried a lot of podcast apps, but I always go back.

7. big samm macrumors 65816

I use icatcher! Universal app with icloud syncing. Of course supports the new iphone5 screen too!

8. sar416 macrumors newbie

I want a podcast app with playcounts, ability to sort by most recently played, bookmarks and notes. Does this exist?