BEST portable 1TB external drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdhatt, Jul 16, 2010.

1. jdhatt macrumors regular

so far im looking at the WD my passport essentials SE, or the elements SE.
    and then im also looking at the 1TB freeagent GO

anyone have any bad experiences with this drives? which do u recommened? any other suggestion for a 1TB portable external drive?

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

WD is the only one who produces 1TB 2.5" SATA-Drives, so there won't be any other, except physically bigger 3.5" drives.

Regards

3. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I'm also in the market for one of these. I need a bigger backup drive for my MBP and would like something that doesn't have to plug into AC.

I think I'll probably get the Western Digital My Passport from Newegg. For $129 shipped its not a bad deal, but I swear they had other 2.5" 1tb drives for $99 free shipping when I checked last week.....

4. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I just found the LaCie Rugged Hard Drive, which has a shock-resistant case, but costs slightly more and it's the same WDC drive inside.

5. OffsetZ33 macrumors newbie

I bought the 1tb Seagate Freeagent Go from Costco a few months ago and have been very impressed with it. I normally use WD drives, but I would not hesitate to recommend this Seagate.

6. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

WD My Passport

I can not speak about the 1 TB flavor of it, but I've had the 500 GB working with me daily for the last 8 months and without a problem. A couple years ago I witnessed 2 of these things failed on my previous office after a short period of use (around 2-3 months), but now this is working pretty well, even after a few drops.

7. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

wow that seems incredible...its just waaayyyy too expensive at $269.99 i must say....i prefer something along the $120-140 range like the passport and the freeagent go....yea i just need a drive that wont die on me im gonna be puttin my entire movie, picture and music library on it and that would completely screw me over if that happen....

8. EzhnoWolf macrumors member

IMO the best value portable 1TB external HDD because it comes with no Smartware/Crapware:

WD Elements SE 1TB bus-powered HDD.

It is tiny, bus-powered for great portability, and very sleek.

Amazon Link

9. mahen macrumors member

Last night I bought a 1TB WD my Passport Essential SE from Costco for $109. The price includes a black WD neoprene carrying case. Good deal.

10. shoeshine macrumors member

the owc drive is a completely different beast. it has USB, FW400+800 and esata. i would never buy a USB only interface, but that's just me. you're paying for the speed of the interface. and their cases are superb. rock solid. I've a larger case of theirs that's been running for like 5 years now without a glitch.

11. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

Read reviews, on amazon.com and others.
    The WD and SG drives in 1TB didn't do well. WD had more fails than success.
    I have a segate 500GB but not going to go higher until they fix the issues with TB drives.

You get what you pay for in hard drives.

12. jdhatt thread starter macrumors regular

apparently the seagate 1tb comes with a multi-interface adapter to allow other interfaces which the wd passport doesnt have....and it also comes with a 5 year warranty which WD lacks. i think im almost sold on the 1tb goflex from seagate....anybody use this one yet?

13. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

SG does have a warranty, but read the instructions you have to keep the original box and receipt when you buy.

14. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Well, it's been one year more, and the 500 GB WD passport still works great. Just in case I keep it mirrored to my Desktop backup drive (automatically, thanks to Folder Sync, available by around 10 bucks in the Mac App Store).