Best Portable Hard Drive for Time Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by socorose, Feb 4, 2010.

1. socorose macrumors newbie

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or preferences on a good 500gb (or more) portable hard drive for Time Machine on my Macbook. I need it to be portable because I travel quite a bit.

I have been looking at the Seagate FreeAgent Go 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive ST905003FAA2E1-RK but I can't tell a) if this will work for my macbook and b) if it will work for Time Machine.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Would any portable hard drive that I buy on Amazon work for Time Machine?

Thanks!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Any USB harddrive will work for both your MacBook and Time Machine.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

Any external hard drive will work fine via usb and firewire for time machine.

Check out WD Passport. I love them.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

These days I prefer Seagate. I have had too many issues with Western Digital externals. Namely the issues with their firmware and firewire.

One thing to be aware of. Unless you are buying the "Mac Editions" you will need to reformat the drive to HFS+.

5. amytude macrumors newbie

I wouldn't go with Toshiba. Mine died after only around 6 months. I'm not a technie, so I have no idea why this happened. Costco has WD on sale starting 3/11 for $99 (750GB).