Best Portable Hard Drive in Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yordanov1990, Sep 24, 2012.

1. yordanov1990 macrumors newbie

I would like to ask which portable hard-drive from the apple accesorries is the best one? Taking into consideration speed and weight. If it is relevant I have the new Air. Thank you in advance.

2. yordanov1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I made small research and I found two hard drives with good speed, light and appearance. Any opinions? Still no?

G-Tech 1TB G-DRIVE USB 3.0 Mobile Hard Drive
    PLaCie 1TB Porsche Design P'9223 USB 3.0 Mobile Hard Drive

3. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Personally I prefer a hard drive enclosure, that way I can easily use any other hard drive when I need to. Also it's easy to upgrade to a larger drive in the future if you need to.

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I would seriously hope you are not considering purchasing a hard drive from the Apple Store (unless you're buying it using store credit or a gift card).

You can likely find those hard drives much cheaper elsewhere.

Also, any external hard drive will work with your mac as long as it has the right connectors (USB 3.0 is almost a given these days).

5. yordanov1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

True, but it is not really portable, is it? Its more suitable for home base.

6. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Not sure you understand what a hard drive enclosure is. When you buy a portable HD you are buying a 2.5" hard drive in a case that you can't (not supposed to open). It's in a permanent hard drive enclosure. You can buy a 2.5" enclosure that's the same size as those portable HD's but usually has 2 screws so that you can open it up and replace the HD. They usually run from about $10 to $20 for the enclosure plus the cost of the HD. If you have a 2.5" drive laying around this would even be a better reason to go that route.