Best Portable Mouse?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eric., Jun 15, 2008.

1. Eric. macrumors regular

Since I'll be getting a MBP soon, I was wondering what mouse you guys recommend the most. Its mainly going to be for gaming on the go, or for doing things in CS3 or whatever. I don't have a preference between BT and RF wireless, but I have read that Wifi interferes a lot with some 2.4Ghz mice. I was leaning towards the VX Revolution, but I read reviews that said its not good for gaming because it lags coming out of sleep mode and also that it takes a big hit near Wifi devices. Newegg's selection of BT mice is pretty poor, with just two Kensington mice with some shady reviews as well.

Any advice would be appreciated! :)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The VX Revolution does not lag at all for me; just make sure you use good batteries and keep the mouse clean.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I dont know if anyone else feels the same as I do but I love using the multitouch trackpad more than a mouse especially portable mouse.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I do it, so trust me: gaming on a touchpad is hard.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I like the Logitech VX Nano.... tiny dongle, great battery life, compact and portable, carrying case, 5 programmable buttons, high-speed scrolling, tilting wheel.

6. Eric. thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, no issues with wifi interference, either?

Somebody is selling one here and I was wanting to get the opinions from here before I decide whether to buy or not.

Does anyone have experience with both the VX Revolution and the Nano?

7. reifiedbeans macrumors newbie

give the touchpad a chance

I bought two different mice when I got my MBP, and used them all the time at first and even dragged them around town with me. But once I *really* got used to the touchpad, I noticed that the mice got left at home, and then they just started to gather dust. Now, I really think that the touchpad is so vastly superior to any mouse ever made that I'm annoyed when I have to use the iMac and use the wireless mighty mouse or the Logitech MX revolution. Yuck.

In fact, the touchpad is now so damn good I can't believe apple hasn't released a keyboard with an attached touchpad. Or a touchpad you can sit next to your keyboard. I'd buy one in a second and start talking trash about how computer mice were *so* 1990s.

So here' my advice: give yourself a month with the touchpad. Don't buy a mouse right away. You don't need another toy right away anyway. Save yourself the hassle of selling "almost new" mice on ebay.

8. Eric. thread starter macrumors regular

I'll keep that in mind while I try to play Crysis or CSS with my trackpad.

9. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

tell me how gaming goes ;)

10. jbaird77 macrumors member

Hands down, the best laptop mouse is,

VX Nano (Logitech)

read reviews on CNET or other sites if you dont believe me, its amazing

11. sdsviet macrumors regular

i like the ones from radtech. i havnt had one in years but they worked pretty well for me. im actually looking into one again. might pick one up from there again.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/Bluetooth/

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I actually played through the whole episode 1 of orange box on the mbp via windows with using the non multitouch trackpad with the 2 finger option and was still easy to do.

But I guess versing people online you would need an external mouse. But for for everything else on OSX the trackpad is all you need.

13. m85476585 macrumors 65816

14. reifiedbeans macrumors newbie

Yikes! sorry, didn't notice the gaming part. So get a mouse for gaming, skip it for all other purposes.

15. valvehead macrumors regular

I have a VX Nano and an MX Revloution. Both are excellent, and with the addition of SteerMouse, there's nothing they can't do.

The trackpad works great under OSX, but it's really screwy if you bootcamp Windows. I really wish that Apple would write a proper Windows driver for it instead of using the generic mouse driver.

Gaming isn't the only thing that works better with a mouse: CAD, photo editing, video and audio production, etc.

16. GuntherS macrumors member

I have a VX Revolution and it's awesome!
    Just love the feeling of that mouse.
    I use it with my laptop at school and with my iMac at home.

Didn't had any problems with it. I love it!

17. Eric. thread starter macrumors regular

Already initiated the purchase in the Marketplace. Thanks for the input guys, I'm getting the VX Revolution. Hopefully I'll like it as much as my G7