Best possible processor for Macbook 1,1?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zgotts, Aug 3, 2011.

1. zgotts macrumors newbie

I recently acquired a Macbook 1,1 (1.83GHz Core Duo) and have been doing a lot of work to restore it.

I now have 2 newer Macbook Pro's and this Macbook. I'm considering selling one of my MB Pro's (I only have two because my job hooked me up with one when I started), and using the Macbook 1,1 as my home computer (for internet, music, coding, and maybe some light Photoshop work), but only if I can beef up the processor (I've already added 2 GB memory and a 320 GB HDD).

What's the best processor/logic board I can get for the Macbook 1,1? There are some good deals on eBay for logic boards.

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can't upgrade the CPU as its soldered on to the logic board. Swapping the logic board with another may be hard. You'll have to find one that fits. I know that the mid 07 Macbook and later do not fit in a Macbook1,1 case. The mount points are different.

3. ViPhone macrumors 6502

Good luck. if someone can answer the same question in relation to a 1,7 that would be great! Sorry to poach your idea haha. Had to :D. Your post gets a little popularity boost though.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That's really not worth an upgrade, but I believe the best you could get is probably a 2.16 Core Duo which is hardly an upgrade. That said, it would be a better plan to replace the computer if you need a better processor.

5. zgotts thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm interesting.

I know that the processor is soldered to the board -- I'm just looking to swap logic board but want to be sure whatever I buy (if I buy) fits the chassis.

Only reason I'm really considering this is because I don't really know what to do with this Macbook. I've invested just under $100 in more memory, new HDD, and a new fan for it. I figured I could try reselling but I doubt I'll get a good deal, so I'm thinking of ways I can keep upgrading it and making it a solid machine.

Thanks for the input so far.

6. ViPhone macrumors 6502

Depending on the value you'd get for it (I have no idea), that could be a very good option for you.

7. zgotts thread starter macrumors newbie

Based on my research so far, I think there's a chance I can get a 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo logic board (T7400) in there, and there are some good deals on them on eBay (ranging between $160 and $235). Those are the logic boards from the mid-2007 Macbooks.

My heatsink/fan have 3-wall connectors, so I think I'm set there. The only thing I may need is a new battery connector, but those are only $5-$10.

Going to do some more research and compare pictures of the logic board to my current one to see if the screw positions match up. If so, I think this is a go!

8. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

I don't know if they would match up, but let us know if they do!

9. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

IMO seems like a lot of work for not much gain even if it worked (maybe 15-20% looking at geek bench scores). If you are doing so for fun go for it. If you are doing it to save money or you think you are going to see some dramatic increase, I don't think it is a good option.

10. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The 2.16 board will fit fine and if you buy an energy-star board you will need a newer style battery connector. You will be able to sell your old board for maybe $100 since you can guarantee that it works fine.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that the Core Duo cannot run Lion but the Core 2 Duo's can .....

It will also run better and cooler - the Core Duo MacBooks run hotter than any of the other MacBooks.....

11. zgotts thread starter macrumors newbie

the results are in....success!

Just to recap, I had a 2006 White Macbook. 1.83 GHz Core Duo processor. It is non-Energy Star (I don't think any of the 2006's are Energy Star) and has 3-wall connectors for the heat sink.

After a good amount of research (mostly on everymac.com, ifixit.com, and asking eBay sellers questions) I came to the conclusion that the logic board with the T7400 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz processor was the best possible processor that would fit in this macbook without any major alterations to the casing.

Here's a link to what I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/MacBook-A1181-T...ps=63&clkid=2001823308016833243#ht_2487wt_985

I have yet to put the machine to the test to see how noticeable the upgrade is, but the simple fact that I can now use Lion OSX (whereas I couldn't before) might even speak for itself.

I'll have to do more testing, but for only $165 shipped (it was on sale last week), I think it will prove to be worth the upgrade. It took me 1.5 hours to swap the boards, and this board was the only part I needed (other boards would have required a different battery connector and/or heatsink and fan).

12. BL4zD macrumors 6502

That sounds like a solid upgrade.

I was going to post that your best use of a 1,1 Macbook was to simply use it, as is. Then I remembered that you actually will notice a difference between those processors because now you can use 64bit, 4gb of RAM, and Lion. Awesome swap overall! Gratz.

13. rubirock macrumors regular

thanks for posting your results.
    reading this from a CD black macbook 1,1 and will be doing this swap.

14. reyscar macrumors newbie

hate to dredge up an old post... but was it as simple as just replacing the original logic board? no soldering or splicing?