Best possible protection for a MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by acraig426, Mar 30, 2009.

1. acraig426 macrumors newbie

When I buy my Aluminum MacBook for college, I want it to stay in the exact same condition as I bought it in. What I'd like to do is apply a full-body InvisibleShield to the MacBook, and then put it in a Speck or Incase hard case. After those, I'd want to store it in a Neoprene sleeve for when I travel across campus with it in my backpack.

My question is, can I do all of this? I want the hands down, absolute best protection for my huge investment while still maintaining the amazing aesthetics of the notebook itself. However, I don't know if the MacBook would still fit in any of the hard cases once I've applied the InvisibleShield. Does anyone have this particular or a similar configuration? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

[​IMG]

HAHA!! But seriously, the InvisibleShield & a Neoprene sleeve should do just fine!
    I leave mine "naked" and just put it in a sleeve when not in use. Still looks brand new! Just take good care of it. It's not like your using it in a war zone in Iraq. ;)

3. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

LOL! Laughed at this one. Keep your Macbook in good condition! Good luck.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Seal it in lucite and never use it.

Seriously, its a portable computer and it will get banged up.

There is always a trade off with protection and looks. The Invisible shields will stop it from getting scratched, but they make it look cheap and plasticky.

The speck hardcase will make it look cheap and plasticky but will protect it from bumps.

You don't need the neoprene with the hardcases.

I have my MBP in a neoprene sleeve and make sure I don't scratch it with my rings or metal watch.

5. acraig426 thread starter macrumors newbie

but if I wanted to use both the invisible shield and a hard case, could I?

6. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

As I always say, Apple specifically design their products to be used as they come. If Apple thought that their laptops were likely to become easily scratched or dented, they would have designed them differently.

Enjoy your laptop and accept that wear and tear will happen to an extent.

If you do go for "protection", you are sacrificing everything Apple worked so hard for, and what you paid so much for in the first place - the beautiful aesthetics of the Macbook.

Or in other words, don't be a nob. :)

7. alexrose99 macrumors newbie

You could, I'm sure, do both. I mean the Invisible shield really does not add any bulk to the thing. My question is this: If you encase your new Mac in all of this stuff, won't you just hide it and make it look cheep and icky, thereby defeating the purpose of keeping it safe (so it looks nice)? I don't know, I think you are way way WAY overreacting. Scratches will happen, dings will occur, make peace with it. You are looking at spending a bunch of money on cases and shields when you don't need to. If you are super concerned about scratches, get the IS, put it in a sleeve (shinza.com sells a nice one). The hard cases have been known to damage the laptops, not to mention they will make your machine (and by extension, you) look dumb. It is a laptop. :apple:

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I wouldn't use a hardcase without one of the invisible shields. I just know that some dirt would work its way in there and over time scuff up the metal.