best posture for using a macbook pro on a desktop or lap

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have been looking at the mstand and ilap bt raindesigns. I notice the mstand seems to require an external keyboard & mouse. Is there any other stands to use with a macbook pro for use on a desktop? something for good ergonomics? Ithis laptop has been expensive for me & I did not anticipate having to buy a whole keyboard & mouse.

If I go with the mstand, with a keyboard & mouse, I will need a keyboard & mouse that will work with both windows & mac os, as I will probably have windows installed on my macbook pro through paralells.

I sometimes use the laptop on my lap, would the ilap work on a desk? I read some reviews about it on amazon, & they were mixed, some said laptops slipped off of it. I read that the ilap pulls heat away from the bottom of the macbook pro, but will it work even though my macbook has the spec products see thru satin cover on it? will the speck cover help with any slipping?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

It would but as far as ergonomics go, the rule (I believe) is to have the top of the screen at eye level. The iLap obviously will never be able to offer this (unless you slump in your chair, but that's just plain wrong).

I use my machine in my lap all the time and for general browsing it's all right. Use your $$$ for the mStand and you'll be much more comfortable if done properly.

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see the mstand requires an external keyboard & mouse, if I get these I need them to be compatible with windows as well as mac os, I will have windows on my mac running through parallels.

4. laserbeam273 macrumors 6502

I've got the iLap, it's quite good, usually just have it on my desk. It slips off, but that's because I haven't put the grip pads on the iLap device. I'm guessing the others who were complaining about it didn't do it either.

Yeah, general practice for good posture is to have top of the screen eye level. Can't imagine what that'd be like with a MBP. It'd be nice with a 17", but I think it'd look stupid with a 13".

As for keyboard and mouse, if you don't mind going the wire-ful way, and don't have an issue with old-looking parts, just grab some second-hand windows gear. Bought a laser mouse w/ wire at a garage sale for barely anything, and it works great. Probably prefer it to the mighty mouse actually, much better for intensive clicking like gaming. And I'm guessing you can do the same with a keyboard.