Best PPC laptop for simple work from home?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by davidg4781, Oct 4, 2016.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I moved back in January and how my setup is, I have a desktop in my bedroom and I really don't like being in there unless I'm sleeping (cramped, hot, etc.). Right now, I don't have anywhere else to put the desktop.

Previously I had MBP that I'd use to do some quick work from home, Word, Pages, Excel, email.

I wanted to get a new MBP but some financial issues came up and I'm putting that on hold.... but I do have a bit of want for a PPC laptop. Now, which would be best for this?

For email, I use outlook webmail, so it would need to run on compatible browsers.

If possible, I'd want something that can run OS 9, mainly for nostalgia purposes later on (dual boot would be best) and maybe some retro gaming, if that would be possible.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Oooh... this pretty much confirmed the suggestion I was going to make.

It's gotta be the TiBook. God that thing is still absolutely gorgeous.

3. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Yep, if you want OS9 and be able to boot into it, instead of the Classic Environment, it's a TiBook you want to look for. The G3 machines are probably a bit too much of a struggle, and all the other G4 notebooks won't boot into OS9.

4. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'll have to check eBay. Local Craigslist only has a Macintosh PowerBook 180c, and a bunch of iPhones.

Is there a particular model I should look for or stay away from? Wikipedia has a few years and models listed.

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Right, forget the TiBook. Hard to find any right now in decent condition and price. Any other suggestions? Gaming isn't that big of a priority. If I want to do some I have my other 2 PPCs, just not set up right now. It would be nice to have a decently powered laptop though.

6. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I would say a mid-range Alu-PBG4, like a 1.5GHz model. The DLSDs are the nicest, but happen to be the most expensive

7. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

12" PowerBook. The last 1.5GHz runs beautifully and they're surprisingly cheap. Personally its my favorite Mac laptop of all time.

8. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Unless the retro gaming really is important, I'd go for a 12" or 15" Aluminium Powerbook. Unless you have money to spend on upgrades, don't buy something with less than 1 gig Ram...

9. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

the 15" DLSD with an SSD + 2GB of DDR RAM is my choice of machine. I really enjoy mine!

10. bobesch, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016

bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

At my place the 12" iBook G4 1.2GHz are the cheapest to find (40-60EUR/USD)
    Concerning iBookG4 12" 1.33GHz / 14" 1.44GHz are the fastest models - I'd go for a 12" 1.2GHz model. 1.5GB RAM and mSATA. I prefere the 1.2GHz over the 1.33GHz one - especially if you take a look under the hood...
    The PowerBooks are also of a special kind: keyboard a bit smelly; the 12"PB 1.33GHz sports only 1.25GB of RAM. Anyway, it's a nice machine. Nothing better on the 12" side...
    If you think about a 15" PB make sure both RAM-slots are working! A lot of machines suffer from an upper-RAM-slot-failure and you' re stuck with a maximum of 1GB RAM. 1.5-1.64GHz are the fastest and the DLSD additionally offer a higher resolution which doesn't matter really much, if you suffer from visual impairment.
    I'd set a limit of 60$ and then I'd choose the best option: small-size book 12"/1.2GHz or more, large book:1.5GHz or more. Cheap 1GB RAM can be purchased at about 8$.

11. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

If it can run in Classic, you can use any PowerBook and run it. Granted, it isn't 100% what you want, but it could prove quite valuable. especially since TenFourFox is quite a bit more updated than Classilla.

12. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

My second pick would be a 2005 era 15" or 17" PBG4, but first would be a DLHR model!

13. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

One thing to note is that almost all of the suggested PowerBooks cannot boot into OS 9, bu they can run the Classic Environment if you install Tiger, so they cab run OS 9 applications.

14. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Didn't OS9Lives make the universal installer for just this? Or is it desktop only?

15. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I might go with a later iBook. PowerBooks, at least what I found, are in pretty rough shape on eBay. I don't want a project PPC. Already have 2 and no room for them, and I've never really felt a draw to PPC laptops. Desktops are a different story.

16. swamprock macrumors regular

swamprock

... and wayyyyyyy overpriced as well....

17. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I must be using a different eBay than you guys. I took a quick look around and there are several nice late model PowerBooks under $50 in full working order. Not in bad shape (they're at LEAST 11 years old) and certainly not what I would consider expensive.

18. swamprock, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016

swamprock macrumors regular

swamprock

I guess I should be more specific. The 12" Powerbooks are not only trashed, but way overpriced for their condition. There are sellers asking $50+ for dead pieces of crap. A beat-up, working 1.5 is selling for over $100 on there now. Maybe it's just me, but I find that patently ridiculous.

I can see asking for a price like that IF the piece being sold is in good condition- the usual usage scratches; maybe a ding or two. Bent frames and bezels, warped keyboards, and large dents... no way. I keep checking, but I've been watching for over a year now with no luck.

I won't even get into the padded shipping costs...

19. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

I have a near perfect ibook g4 14" top model with brand new (old stock) HDD fitted.

and a scrap lesser model i'm selling as a bundle but you are in USA so no good to the OP.

Good luck with the hunting.
    I like the ibooks but just not up to running stuff I need for work.

20. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

iBook G4s have the "graphic card of death" issue. You either get to bake the motherboard to get it working again or drown in solder.