Best PPC Mac for older games

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by smokeyrabbit, Feb 19, 2013.

1. smokeyrabbit, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013

smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

I recently discovered that I still have backups of several games (Bugdom 1&2, Nanosaur, TR 1-5) that I played back in the day on my iMac DV SE and upgraded Quicksilver G4. The oldest Mac I have now is a PowerMac G5 1.6, which of course doesn't support classic applications while running 10.5.8. I can't remember if it ever could run classic applications under older versions of OS X. What would be the most economical system to play these games in their original glory (i.e., probably not through emulation software)? I should add that I am open to getting an old system like a PM G4 of some sort too, just trying to figure out what would be best value for my $.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you're wanting to run the widest possible range of operating systems on it, get a late PCI PowerMac. They can run 7.5.5 through 10.5.8.

3. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

7.5.5? I know that some MDDs can run 9.2.2, is that what you meant?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Nope, Mac OS 7.5.5 is original OS for the PowerMac 8600 and 9600. Both of which would be a great machine for classic games. They can take 1GB to 1.5GB of ram and can be maxed out with a 1Ghz 7455 G4. Really nice to use Mac OS 7.5.5 on a 1Ghz G4. It about near pees itself.

5. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Oh, I wasn't remembering upgrades. I'm surprised that 7 can handle a 1GHz processor.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It isn't the most graceful thing at those speeds. Just like how Windows 95 can't run on a 3Ghz+ CPU, OS 7.5.5 likes to crash for no reason. But for the most part, it can do games just well. Finder's the only unstable thing. OS 7.6 hasn't crashed yet.

7. n8mac macrumors 6502

I run a dual 1.8 G5 with 10.4.11 and classic for my old games. While there are some games that don't work to well under classic, most of the ones I have run well.

Simcity 2000
    Myst 1-3
    Age of Empires
    Civilization 2 gold
    Bugdom and Nanosaur from my first iMac
    Yoot Tower

Love that old stuff. This way I can play it all on one machine without taking up too much space. You could always dual boot into Tiger if need be if classic is enough for your old games.