Best PQ type Thunderbolt to what?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nohoch, Sep 10, 2015.

1. nohoch macrumors member

I am looking to get a thunderbolt ---> whatever cable but don't know whats the best route in terms of picture quality or does it really matter?

Thunderbolt --->HDMI
    Thunderbolt---->DVI

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

What kinda monitor you got and what resolution does it have?

3. nohoch thread starter macrumors member

I have a Lg 27" 1080p, however I will be upgrading to the Dell u2715h which would also support displayport... Im just not sure what cable to get for quality. I will have dual monitor with the 1080p mainly being used as live tv/videogaming etc. and a second monitor if i should need it

4. austinpike macrumors 6502

What Macbook do you have? Do you have HDMI out? Assuming the LG has HDMI, just use that.
    If you need an adapter, TB -> HDMI or DVI doesn't really matter.

For the Dell you would just need a mini DisplayPort -> DisplayPort cable.

5. nohoch thread starter macrumors member

I guess I should have specified... I will be purchasing both the Dell and a Hengedock and using the 2015 13" rMBP as my home desktop (just got rid of mac mini) With the Hengedock, I would like to utilize both thunderbolt ports so that when I come home, I can dock my Pro on the henge and it will be like my mini never left?

With so many cables, I just want to make sure that the best PQ will be had from the cables I get.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Digital is digital is digital.

It doesn't matter at all. With digital signals, it either goes through or doesn't. There is no such things as a difference in quality. Say you use a $0.50 HDMI cable, if the picture is showing, you're already getting all the quality you're going to get. Paying more for a cable is just for the fit and finish or look, there will be zero performance difference.

Analog signals on the other hand (VGA, for example) can benefit from a better cable if your cable runs are long or there is a lot of possible interference around.

7. nohoch thread starter macrumors member

Thank you this is what I was thinking but didn't know if that was accurate