Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noblex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2016
Hello, on the Apple page there's nothing about MacBook (over than "keep software updated").

What should I do to keep battery lifecycle as long as possible? I mean reducing natural battery degradation to it's minimal.
I have a MacBook 2016 m7

Thank you

noblex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2016
Here a couple links that might help you.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1446

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Just use it on battery when you need to be portable, and otherwise leave it plugged in. Other than that, you don't need to do anything. The battery will take care of itself.

Oh well, easier than I though. Won't the always plugged in charger ruin my battery?

Also, can you suggest me a software to keep under eye battery drain and charging, maybe with useful info about temperatures and stuff

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Won't the always plugged in charger ruin my battery?

In the past, leaving devices always plugged in meant that I would end up with swollen batteries (with original iPhone it cracked the screen, with the Macbook it caused the trackpad to stop working). I replaced the Macbook battery and created a system where everything is unplugged for a while (a few hours, or a day) each week. No more swollen batteries.

A.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Nah... it won't hurt anything. It has circuitry inside to stop charging once it is full then just top it off when needed, so it is not really charging all the time like you might think.

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Coconut battery is good if you just want to peek at what is up, but there is really nothing much to monitor.

BarcelonaPaul

Suspended
Jul 1, 2015
Hello, on the Apple page there's nothing about MacBook (over than "keep software updated").

What should I do to keep battery lifecycle as long as possible? I mean reducing natural battery degradation to it's minimal.
I have a MacBook 2016 m7

Thank you

Hi there!
I'm still using my 2010 MacBook. I use it daily for business, it gets around 5 to 6 hours of use every day!
The battery has finally died.
Every day, I used it BATTERY POWERED. I only plugged it in to recharge & then used the battery again.
The battery lasted 6 years and had a count of 2500! So I guess from that, this is a pretty reliable way to look after the battery!

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
I run my 2010 Macbook Pro's battery down to about ten percent charge a couple of times a month with use. And that's my recommendation to you as well. Run it down several times a month to "exercise" the battery and you'll get many many years of use from it. I still get 6+ hours from my battery without even breaking a sweat.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
In the past, leaving devices always plugged in meant that I would end up with swollen batteries (with original iPhone it cracked the screen, with the Macbook it caused the trackpad to stop working). I replaced the Macbook battery and created a system where everything is unplugged for a while (a few hours, or a day) each week. No more swollen batteries.

A.
I've also had issues with old MB and Air that screwed up the battery by constantly having it plugged in. Now, I periodically run down the battery.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I run my 2010 Macbook Pro's battery down to about ten percent charge a couple of times a month with use. And that's my recommendation to you as well. Run it down several times a month to "exercise" the battery and you'll get many many years of use from it. I still get 6+ hours from my battery without even breaking a sweat.
You really should not do that and Apple does not recommend it. All you are doing is adding unnecessary charge cycles that makes the battery not last as long.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States

A.

What's wrong with swollen batteries??? It just makes more room for reserve power. :p

My iPhone 5 battery swelled to the point of pushing the screen off. It had gotten to the point where I was having to charge it every 15 to 30 minutes of use.

The service center attempted to test the battery condition when I brought the phone in (still running on battery power). They said they had never seen a battery fail with such a low score on the test. I set a new record. Lol.

Installed a new battery, and it now takes a lot to run it down. I spend hours on it everyday and it never drops below 50% throughout my typical 20 hour day. Yes, I rarely sleep.

I got up this morning at 6 am, I used the phone to check emails, respond, and check package tracking info, browse the forums, reply, perform calculations on some papers.

Research things I'm working on.

By 11:30 I was sitting in a service center until 3 pm. Where I killed time on cellular data browsing and searching the Internet for information on several topics for numerous projects I got going on.

3:30 I get done at the service center (feeling annoyed at the long wait), and go about my day.

Spent about an hour talking on the phone. And then didn't do much with it after that except occasionally respond to emails.

Now it's past midnight, and I've been on the forums for about an hour.

Still not dead yet. Lol.

Over 50% left.

I charge it when I sleep. Which likely won't be for a few more hours.

I've treated laptops similarly as described by the other poster.... I leave them plugged in, until I need them to be portable. I've used all of the ones I've had like that. And they've always still delivered 3 to 4 hours of battery time per charge, even the ones that were 4 years old.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.