Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hi All,

In the past, I've just restored from a time capsule backup every time I buy a new mac. However, I have a lot of crap I don't need, app settings I don't care about, etc. I'd like to manually move from my old MBP to my new. I have three questions:

1) For my iPhoto Library, do I literally just need to copy the library over? Are there other considerations?

2) For iTunes, obviously I need to copy the iTunes folder in the Music library over. What else? Stuff in Application Support? How do I set it up so that my phone will "just work" with my new computer and won't try erase and re-sync to a new machine?

3) Any other major considerations?

Thanks in advance!

detroitl

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
Hi All,

In the past, I've just restored from a time capsule backup every time I buy a new mac. However, I have a lot of crap I don't need, app settings I don't care about, etc. I'd like to manually move from my old MBP to my new. I have three questions:

1) For my iPhoto Library, do I literally just need to copy the library over? Are there other considerations?

2) For iTunes, obviously I need to copy the iTunes folder in the Music library over. What else? Stuff in Application Support? How do I set it up so that my phone will "just work" with my new computer and won't try erase and re-sync to a new machine?

3) Any other major considerations?

Thanks in advance!

depending on how much stuff you have, you might want to try dropbox or some other cloud service.

Also for iTunes, you will need to erase and sync, but your apps will still be on your iPhone if you do so. Only your music will need to be transferred to the new mac, and pictures if you don't back those up on iCloud already.

I might have missed some important details, so don't strictly take my word on things.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
iPhoto is just a plain simple copy over.

iTunes is too but you will to authorise the machine (de-authorising the old one might be an idea)

Wouldn't use cloud services at the other guy suggested.:confused:

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hmm to be clear, I don't need any help *copying* the files over.

I just need help knowing exactly what to move and stuff.

----

update:

Ah, thanks Charlie - I figured I just needed to copy only my iPhoto library over.

What about my phone? I don't want erase and re-sync as first suggested. However, I COULD create a backup from my phone, move the backup over, and restore from that backup. I just want the phone to think it's being plugged into my old computer............

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
You're right for iTunes - after migrating many machines that I've had in the couple years - I have been doing fine just dragging the iTunes library from /Music/iTunes to the same destination on the new Mac.

The whole folder will keep your playlists intact, etc. While the /Music/iTunes Media folder will transfer just the files absent the artwork. That folder is also available in the /Music/iTunes folder.

As far as iPhoto goes, I hate how Apple handles their "upgrading" of some older libraries, I think most people should be fine in the last 1-2 years if you've been recent on your transfers to new software. /Photos/iPhoto Library is all you need.

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
You're right for iTunes - after migrating many machines that I've had in the couple years - I have been doing fine just dragging the iTunes library from /Music/iTunes to the same destination on the new Mac.

The whole folder will keep your playlists intact, etc. While the /Music/iTunes Media folder will transfer just the files absent the artwork. That folder is also available in the /Music/iTunes folder.

As far as iPhoto goes, I hate how Apple handles their "upgrading" of some older libraries, I think most people should be fine in the last 1-2 years if you've been recent on your transfers to new software. /Photos/iPhoto Library is all you need.

This. It is exactly what I did last night. I copy n' pasted to and from my external HDD. Same with the iPhoto library. File>add to library is useful for iTunes if your library doesn't seem like it all carried over. And iPhoto has an option under File> for swapping (or switching, I forget the wording) your photo library, and you simply select the newly copied over iPhoto library.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Hmm to be clear, I don't need any help *copying* the files over.

I just need help knowing exactly what to move and stuff.

----

update:

Ah, thanks Charlie - I figured I just needed to copy only my iPhoto library over.

What about my phone? I don't want erase and re-sync as first suggested. However, I COULD create a backup from my phone, move the backup over, and restore from that backup. I just want the phone to think it's being plugged into my old computer............

Easiest (and best way) to do it is to is:
Backup your phone
copy the ENTIRE iTunes folder
Don't forget about the backup folder Located at: /Users/<ComputerName>/Library/iTunes/Mobile Backups

Copy everything into the same locations on your new MBP and you're set (your phone will think everything is the same)

BlizZ10

macrumors member
May 18, 2007
I have always had trouble with iTunes transfers. I mean music is a given, but as far as settings, I am not fond of the migration process. The main problem I always have is that I have a lot more music on my itunes then I do on my iphone. I have yet to figure out a way to check only songs I had on my previous itunes on the new computer's itunes. I have to spend a lot of time manually going through all the songs one by one and checking them.

Anyone have an answer to this issue?

BlizZ10

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.