Best practices for Waking up Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by HDFan, May 16, 2015.

1. HDFan macrumors 6502

Although I can wake my Milanese Loop SS by tapping the display or pressing the Digital Crown my preference would be just to raise my wrist and have it turn on. But I can't figure out how to do that consistently.

Sometimes i raise my arm and it turns on. Sometimes I raise it and it turns on for a second and turns right back off. With my elbows at a 90 degree angle as type this I raise it and it turns on but it doesn't turn off until let my arm go all the way down to the floor or it times out. But when I raise it back up to the keyboard level it then turns on again and doesn't turn off until the timeout or until I let my arm go back to the floor. Or going to keyboard level from the floor it just flashes on then off.

At the Apple store they talked mentioned that the watch needs to be "reset". I.E. it needs to know the base elevation before it can figure out whether you've raised your arm or not. So what does it take to get the darn thing to turn on consistently when you raise your arm?

2. nonm macrumors regular

nonm

Try tilting your arm from left to right if your watch is left handed.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Some people report increased consistency from rotating the wrist inward first before raising the arm so you might want to try that.

4. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

Something is def' wrong, I don't have this problem at all. Perhaps the watch is not working properly?

5. chris-jenkins macrumors newbie

I notice this as well, it doesn't bother me so much but I often have to flick my wrist a couple times before it automatically turns on. I don't think its a fault with the watch, just probably the way the axis work.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yeah, raise to wake works for me the vast majority of the time, but when it doesn't, it's quicker simply to force touch the screen.

7. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Force touch isn't necessary -- just a tap will wake it, although I find that it needs to be in the center of the screen or it won't be recognized.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

True, it's technically not force touching but does need to be the center of the screen.

9. maconut macrumors member

If I turn my wrist fast, it doesn't always come on. A more casual turn seems to work better for my watch.

10. trek360 macrumors 6502

This has been my experience as well.

11. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

I found that my Watch worked better - in terms of sensing when I wanted to see the display - when I first got it.
    Since then, it's not woken up as consistently. But I tried restarting it which seems to have helped somewhat.

12. flur macrumors 68000

There's an update out today for the watch, and users are reporting that the wrist raise activation is working better than it did before. Maybe that will fix your issue.

13. FuzzyLogic13 macrumors newbie

I find that saying "Watch On!" while spinning my wrist towards me helps to keep me focused on the gesture I am performing to wake up the watch and works on average I would say, 8 out of 10 times. I'm more like 5 out of 10 times when I don't include the verbal command.

YMMV.

14. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I prefer waving my wand and saying "Watchimus Maximus!" But maybe I'm just old fashioned.

15. flur macrumors 68000

I go with "Accio time!" myself.

16. simonx314 macrumors regular

Wrist activation problems could be caused by incorrect settings. Make sure your settings are for the correct wrist (right or left) and correct crown orientation (right or left). You can do this on the Watch in Settings > General > Orientation.