Best pre-order experience ever?

WolfSnap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I waited until exactly 12:01am to open the app store on my iPhone, and had to open/close the app a few times before it actually got past the "we'll be back soon".

But, after about 30-45 seconds of trying, I tapped the favorited iPhone X I wanted, sped through the AT&T verification, and paid. Got my email confirmation at 12:02am.

Seriously, the fastest and easiest pre-order ever!

Had time to buy some cases, then, went back to order a few T-Mobile iPhone X's for resell. Those originally showed a 11/10 delivery date, but within the day, got bumped back to 11/3.

So, I'm getting three iPhone X's on launch date, and three cases (two leather, one silicone. couldn't make up my mind! LOL) delivered tomorrow.

Best experience ever!

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I waited until exactly 12:01am to open the app store on my iPhone, and had to open/close the app a few times before it actually got past the "we'll be back soon".

But, after about 30-45 seconds of trying, I tapped the favorited iPhone X I wanted, sped through the AT&T verification, and paid. Got my email confirmation at 12:02am.

Had time to buy some cases, then, went back to order a few T-Mobile iPhone X's for resell. Those originally showed a 11/10 delivery date, but within the day, got bumped back to 11/3.

So, I'm getting three iPhone X's on launch date, and three cases (two leather, one silicone. couldn't make up my mind! LOL) delivered tomorrow.

Best experience ever!
Mine too; went through seamlessly, completed by 8.04am UK time, confirmation by 8.05. Never been easier.

EDIT Just noticed that you bought two to sell on. I’ll say that I briefly thought about selling mine for the nonsense prices people are prepared to pay on eBay and just wait a month; but very quickly talked myself out of it because, you know, scalpers are scalpers.

Last edited:

WolfSnap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Scalper huh, good for you.
Well, the first phone I purchased was entirely for my own use :) But, figured I might as well go for the buy 2, get 1 free deal Apple has going on with the iPhone X!

The rebate is in the form of cash back from selling the other two iPhone X's on Craigslist...

Reactions: barkomatic

WolfSnap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
There is an entire thread about people like you. Beware.
Ironically people like you took X’s from people who actually wanted to use the iPhone instead of make a quick buck. Sad.
I keep forgetting.. Everyone on this thread/board makes money by something that doesn't have to do with reselling merchandise and/or services. If you have a job, either you, or what you sell, is being resold for profit by the company -- which allows it to pay your (and your boss') salary.

Money doesn't just magically poof into existence to pay your salary. I know, it's a shocking revelation! Your company purchases labor/merchandise at a lower price than they sell it for. Amazing!!

projectfx

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
I keep forgetting.. Everyone on this thread/board makes money by something that doesn't have to do with reselling merchandise and/or services. If you have a job, either you, or what you sell, is being resold for profit by the company -- which allows it to pay your (and your boss') salary.

Money doesn't just magically poof into existence to pay your salary. I know, it's a shocking revelation! Your company purchases labor/merchandise at a lower price than they sell it for. Amazing!!
First of all i dont care if you buy and sell 100 iPhones, that was sarcasm...sorry for not including a emoji for the obtuse.

Second of all, your logic is flawed. You are coming to a community of iPhone hobbyists where a good number of people couldn’t get an iPhone reserved for technical reasons or even missing the preorder window and are talking about your 3 iPhones, and selling 2 for profit...makes you look like a dirtbag. Key word community. Want to sell your iPhones...got for it...but this is not the right place to boast about ripping people off for iPhones.

I’mpaced

Suspended
Sep 26, 2017

Maybe you’ll get shot at your Craigslist meeting...

WolfSnap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
but this is not the right place to boast about ripping people off for iPhones.
Ok, so, at least one of those two phones is potentially for my wife, if she decides that she actually wants it. She's currently rocking the 8+, and has said she doesn't want to lose her TouchID.. But, history has shown that her mind can change rapidly.

And, the other, might go to my mother who's using a 6+ right now.

However, if both of those people do in fact say, "No!" as a final answer, I will be selling them on Craigslist.

p.s. I had my iPhone off wifi and on cellular to use different DNS's -- that was the device that worked the best in getting into Apple.com.

p.p.s. Mostly this thread was a direct shot at the other thread that says that it was the worse pre-order ever.. My attempt at humor has fallen flat, apparently...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Outside of the issue with t-mobile phones initially not showing launch day delivery, it was the same as always. Use the app and be done within 5 minutes.

Reactions: WolfSnap

projectfx

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Ok, so, at least one of those two phones is potentially for my wife, if she decides that she actually wants it. She's currently rocking the 8+, and has said she doesn't want to lose her TouchID.. But, history has shown that her mind can change rapidly.

And, the other, might go to my mother who's using a 6+ right now.

However, if both of those people do in fact say, "No!" as a final answer, I will be selling them on Craigslist.

p.s. I had my iPhone off wifi and on cellular to use different DNS's -- that was the device that worked the best in getting into Apple.com.

p.p.s. Mostly this thread was a direct shot at the other thread that says that it was the worse pre-order ever.. My attempt at humor has fallen flat, apparently...
Wha wha what happened to the apple rebate program via craigslist????? :cool:

Reactions: myscrnnm

bradley8795

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
Ironically people like you took X’s from people who actually wanted to use the iPhone instead of make a quick buck. Sad.
The funny thing is that people like him did not take anything from anyone. As he stated, he has every intention of selling them to people. Now if he bought 3 of them just to sit on his shelf and never even open the box I could understand why you would be upset. But last time I checked we live in a capitalist society, if you can make money then do it. I mean come on it costs Apple like $500 max to make this phone and they charge $1000 for it. I don't see you complaining that they mark it up!

On top of that I just bought 2 World Series tickets to game 6 in LA. The tickets originally sold for about $250, I paid $1100 each from stubhub...I guess you hate those people too.

WolfSnap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Wha wha what happened to the apple rebate program via craigslist????? :cool:
It's kinda a silent rebate.. You need to order a few extra iPhone's, then, list them for sale on Craigslist, and sell them. The cash you receive from the buyer of the phone is really Apple's way of giving back to you as a thank-you for helping them sell-out of the iPhone's so quickly.

bradley8795

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
Maybe you’ll get shot at your Craigslist meeting...
And maybe you will get brain cancer tomorrow. Why don't you people grow up and just deal with the world as it is. If you don't want to buy a phone from someone charging more for it, then just wait until Apple has them again.

Full disclosure, I bought 4, one for me one for the wife, and 2 to sell and profit off of.

Reactions: WolfSnap

WolfSnap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Orange county?
Riverside County, actually. Higher percentage of people own their own home here vs. Orange County where most are renters. (True fact!)

I'm not going to get into a battle of the income, but, let's just say that I'm very comfortable.

Also, SoCal doesn't have basements, so, BOOM! You're just wrong about that! LOL

Last edited:

Wsidewarrior07

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
Best experience ever!
This was one of the worst pre-orders ever. Period. Woke up at 1:30 central, tried preordering at VZW (it opened 15 minutes early) after 3 attempts I switched to Apple Store App (Didn't open for me until 2:15 central). Right away found the phone I wanted (Space Grey/256) in stock for pickup @ Apple on 9/3, started going through the motions and got a message that "We have an iPhone for you, we'll email you to complete your reservation" Went back to bed.

1:30 PM Central, received email to complete my order with a shipping window of 2-3 weeks, in store pickup no longer an option... started going through the motions again, 2-3 weeks is better than nothing after all.... Failed.

Tried accessing my "reservation" again... "reservation not found".

After multiple phone calls and chats with Apple I've been told and promised 50 different ways that theres a phone for me and they'll contact me when they're ready.

At this point I'm tired of people lying to me...... and I still don't have a pre-order.

Worst. Preorder. Ever.

WolfSnap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
This was one of the worst pre-orders ever. Period. Woke up at 1:30 central, tried preordering at VZW (it opened 15 minutes early) after 3 attempts I switched to Apple Store App (Didn't open for me until 2:15 central). Right away found the phone I wanted (Space Grey/256) in stock for pickup @ Apple on 9/3, started going through the motions and got a message that "We have an iPhone for you, we'll email you to complete your reservation" Went back to bed.

1:30 PM Central, received email to complete my order with a shipping window of 2-3 weeks, in store pickup no longer an option... started going through the motions again, 2-3 weeks is better than nothing after all.... Failed.

Tried accessing my "reservation" again... "reservation not found".

After multiple phone calls and chats with Apple I've been told and promised 50 different ways that theres a phone for me and they'll contact me when they're ready.

At this point I'm tired of people lying to me...... and I still don't have a pre-order.

Worst. Preorder. Ever.
Sorry that happened to you. It sucks.. I actually had the same issues on a previous year's purchase. I remember it taking a few *hours* to get into the store, and by then, I was totally hosed on delivery date.

Ended up camping out for about 12 hours to get the phones... I want to say it was the 5s or the 6..

Hopefully Apple comes through for you.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007

Best experience ever!
i cant tell if this a scalper just trolling us.