Best Pre Smart-Phone Cell Phone

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by UncleSchnitty, Sep 14, 2014.

1. UncleSchnitty macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

Just to sir up some fun, what was the best phone you had before the "Smart-Phone"

2. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

There was only one

Motorola RAZR V3 flip phone

3. UncleSchnitty thread starter macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

hah so funny that was my answer. although deleting texts so that the phone didn't slow down was a draw back

4. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I had a handful of Samsung flip phones that were unremarkable. I always wanted a Nokia but was on Sprint and then Verizon so none were available.

The last non-smart phone I owned was a Motorola E815 on Verizon. Sturdy phone, got the job done for the time I had it. Ultimately I switched then switched to AT&T for a Tilt (HTC TyTn II) and it's been smartphones ever since.

Attached Files:

• 1182.jpg
      1182.jpg
      File size:
      27.4 KB
      Views:
  5. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

6. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I loved my flip phones. Even today, our family has a small $20 flip phone that either my wife or I take with us when all we need is connectivity to a phone for emergency purposes. We just simply forward our phones and call it a day.

7. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

8. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

this was by far the best phone i had, if the motherboard didnt break, i would have it today

[​IMG]

nokia 8600, if anyones curious

9. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I had one o'them. Truly a thing of beauty. The first phone I ever bought for myself (in 2005?) rather than being provided by work.

The second phone I ever bought for myself was a Motorola W156, for £9.99 in 2009. It was actually a really nice phone: great reception and voice quality, and none of that 'colour display' nonsense.

10. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Nokie 3210 and any that says otherwise is a lunatic.

11. UncleSchnitty thread starter macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

The Nokia 5190 still holds a special place in my heart. Optional large capacity battery, changeable face plates, Lights you could put all over the place so when you got a call you lit up like a 70s disco!

12. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Had the Motorola KRZR - now that was a cool phone!

13. ItHurtsWhenIP, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

This one.

With the RAZR 2nd and any of the 30 Nokia candy bar phones, that looked exactly the same until you had the 16 year old girl in the mall bedazzle it, 3rd.

Attached Files:

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I use to love this phone ..... Sony Ericsson W550

[​IMG]

15. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Nokia 3330. I've dropped that thing on concrete so many times and I'd usually have to pick it up in pieces but it just kept working.

I'm torn between that and the T68i.

16. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

If I could go back to simpler times, I'd use this samsung phone, still works and better than spending nearly $1k on a maxed out iPhone 6 plus.

[​IMG]

Instead of spending nearly $1k on a maxed out iPhone 6 plus.

17. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

I think
    Mostly the Nokia phones were the best ...but then there is Motorola and samsung

18. Savor Suspended

Savor

MyPhone QTV38

It was the only phone I ever got in red and it was only two years ago that it was temporarily my daily driver for six months. A QWERTY with antenna that extended from the top. Came from a local brand which generally are usually generic China phones rebranded to the Philippines. My first local branded phone.

+ Loudest speaker I ever had. Yes, louder than HTC's BoomSound.

+ Analog TV so I can catch my NBA games on the go.

+ FM radio without the need of an attached headset.

+ Good reception. Better than my iPhone 2G.

+ Reliable software, way more stable than that Cherry Mobile smartphone I had.

- No Wi-Fi, no games. Camera, internal audio quality, and screen were all pretty weak.

I gave it to my gf but the battery died completely. It's just stored somewhere in my room. For TV, radio, mp3, and simple texting, that phone was pretty awesome. I got it for $80 back in Jan 2012 but it served me well during those times. On my Xiaomi, I can barely hear my text notification sound. Sometimes it doesn't go off at all. With that MyPhone, very loud and clear. I did send some people the wrong text though. It lacked a contact list with photos. Went back to a smartphone since I missed WiFi and apps too much.

It could either be that red MyPhone or my navy blue Sanyo SCP-5500 when I was on Sprint in 2004. That Sanyo was the first flagship phone that really got me into the industry. I was never a fan my black Motorola RAZR V3 because the software was never good on them. Same applied to my Motorola V600 which was generally the same thing as the RAZR but with a different, chubbier casing.