Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrokenE

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Houston
Hello folks,

Where/how can i get the best price on a new MB and MBP. I am not a student and I do not want to buy a reburb.

If I buy on line at the apple store, do i get to forgo the sales tax?

Thanks for your help. :)

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
nope. its too bad you are not a student. You could always claim you are a student and shop online. depends on your personal ethics.

cheapest you can get a mbp is 1599+tax

BrokenE

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Houston
Gothamm, how and where can i get a MBP for 1599?

I guess when buying new, the best route is to get the student discount, bringing the price down to $1799 on-line, but then I think that bacause I do live in a state (tx) that has apple stores, i have to pay the sales tax which is 8.25%, bringing the price to $1947.

I did check out the Macworld link at:

http://macworld.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=38490354

Cheapest is ecomElectronics at 1799 and then Abes of Maine at 1815, both with free shiping. These MBPs come with tiger, though. But, I'm pretty sure I would not have to pay sales tax at either of these.

Jasper, thanks for those links. I'll check them out.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
First of all, it is considered fraud to represent yourself as a student and not be one.

Secondly, other online retailers (like MacConnection and MacMall) generally offer better prices than Apple.com (by a small margin) but won't add sales tax directly onto your order. Instead, you'll be required to look up the laws for your state's "use" tax.

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
Gothamm, how and where can i get a MBP for 1599?

I guess when buying new, the best route is to get the student discount, bringing the price down to $1799 on-line, but then I think that bacause I do live in a state (tx) that has apple stores, i have to pay the sales tax which is 8.25%, bringing the price to $1947.

I did check out the Macworld link at:

http://macworld.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=38490354

Cheapest is ecomElectronics at 1799 and then Abes of Maine at 1815, both with free shiping. These MBPs come with tiger, though. But, I'm pretty sure I would not have to pay sales tax at either of these.

Jasper, thanks for those links. I'll check them out.

you get it for 1599 with an adc discount. so you dont need to be a student.

go to connect.apple.com for adc membership pricing. Again, they have a special $99 dicount for students in the adc program.

senorfrog97

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Austin
Well I did... Sorry to those interested but it is gone. I couldn't pass on it after the seller responded well. If something new does come out I can always sell it for close to what I bought it for anyhow. :cool:

Awesome - I'm happy I was able to show someone on here a good deal.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Isn't fraud a crime? --You'll get arrested if you're caught pretending to be a student? :D

:p:D

In all seriousness, this is technically a crime as you are attempting to gain a false advantage (the crucial aspect of fraud).

Don't do it!

Also, MR doesn't condone this, so if anyone else asks, I'll be reporting posts to the mods. ;)

BrokenE

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Houston
No, i would not pose as a student when i am not. I am just saying this is the best discount Apple offers (that I am aware of) and it's only ten percent...about the same as sales tax here in Tx. That's all. Make no mistake...I am trying to get the best price i legally can. Thanks for your help everyone.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
The one thing newer switchers have to come to terms with is that Apple doesn't do deals. Unlike HP or Dell or Sony or <insert every other computer manufacturer out there> Apple doesn't participate in the constant lowering of prices.

This is a bad thing for those who just want to dabble and try things out without risking too much money (consider how easy it is for one to "switch" to Windows, with dozens of low cost machines that can be had for a couple hundred bucks).

However, Apple's premium is part of the "Apple experience" as you appreciate your computer inside and out.

My personal recommendation is to go through MacConnection as they have good prices and have a pretty good rating. The one thing to note, however, is that return policies will be different. Other than that, you'll save yourself a few bucks (there are usually rebates on all Mac models).

mojitochica

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2007
USA
Have you looked at Amazon? They usually have $150 rebates on MBPs and $75-$100 on MBs with free shipping and no tax unless you live in Washington or Oregon state - I can't remember which one.

ProzacJM

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007
Have you looked at Amazon? They usually have $150 rebates on MBPs and $75-$100 on MBs with free shipping and no tax unless you live in Washington or Oregon state - I can't remember which one.

I think amazon is a good option since they don't charge you with taxes, but i had read here on this forum that amazon sends those mac laptops with tiger mac os instead of leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.