Best price on MBP 13"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Staindsoul, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

MacConnection has it for $1050 AR. This is the new base model 13" MBP

However, they are out of stock for the next 2 weeks.

Should I pull the trigger or is there a better deal out there?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Does that include taxes? It's pretty good deal, so it depends do you want to wait or buy now for more $

3. Staindsoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

When I did a faux checkout, it shows $0 for shipping and taxes. I was shipping to TX so it may be state dependent.

4. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I bought the same computer for the same price - I was told that its supposed to ship on the 23rd (next Friday). The next cheapest I found was MacMall at ~$1125 after Bing Cashback. I can wait a few days to save $75. :)

5. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

How do they decide whether to charge you tax or not? Is it by the state you PAY from, or ship to?

I moved to florida, and was shocked when I bought my MBP and had to pay this tax thing. I used to live in NH and I've never noticed sales tax.

I still have credit cards in NH but I haven't had a chance to use them yet.

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

It's the ship to state, so if UPS brings it to FL, you get to pay FL for the privilege.

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Right from MC:

We collect sales and use taxes for sales shipped to the State(s) of Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. Additional states may be added without notice. We shall not be liable for handling or customs charges for shipments outside the United States.

Funny thing is, no tax to CA even though its on that list?

8. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Same with KY.

@Staindsoul: Mine shipped today, BTW. :)

9. Staindsoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

Ahhh, I am yet to order one. When did you place your order?

10. Staindsoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

I just called MC, they said end of next week for the 2.4 GHz MBP. He confirmed no sales tax for Texas though.

11. Staindsoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

Couldn't wait much longer, ordered from MC. My first Mac!!

12. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Point to consider:

The rebate is valid between 4/15/2010 and 4/30/2010. I chatted with a Rep the other day and they told be they were expecting stock between 4/23 and 4/30. She also said if I ordered one the order would be filled after the back orders were filled.

So, what happens if they don't get their stock until after 4/30 or if they deplete their stock filling the back orders? Will I still get one for the $1049 after rebate price or will I loose out on the rebate and end up paying $1149 and waiting however long?

On a related note does anyone know if MacConnection ships MacBook Pros in an outer shipping carton or do they just stick a shipping label on the Apple box?

13. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Mine came in a large, well-padded box, plus the Apple box was inside a cardboard "sleeve." It was VERY WELL protected.

@Staind: Did you get it yet?

14. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Thanks. I used to order from MacConnection frequently in the 90s but with the advent of Amazon and other online vendors haven't in quite some time. Glad to hear that they're still maintaining the high standards that I'm familiar with from back in the day.

15. EasyJW macrumors member

16. ljova.com macrumors member

I think the best deal is at Small Dog http://www.smalldog.com/wag19982/ -- $1389 for the MacBook, Applecare and a Hammerhead sleeve. Free shipping, no tax to any place but VT... and they have it in stock.