Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maury

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
As I understand it, many of the later model MP's are basically similar machines. Generally speaking, can anyone offer any insight on the price/performance ratios of these machines on the used market? Does one model suggest itself more than others?

I'm upgrading my MP1,1, which has an SSD and a Radeon 4870. I understand that my SDD should be even faster in a newer machine, and I can drop in pretty much any GPU, right? Should I consider certain models to make my GPU selection wider?

I would *love* to get the R2D2, but the more I read the less fascinated I am. Sure, Thunderbolt would be great and the SSD would likely scream, but the GPU offerings are a joke (the best model is the Fire version of the 7970, which isn't even sold any more) and will cost way too much.

Am I missing anything? Can anyone offer a reason to get the new model that I might be missing?

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
As I understand it, many of the later model MP's are basically similar machines. Generally speaking, can anyone offer any insight on the price/performance ratios of these machines on the used market? Does one model suggest itself more than others?

I'm upgrading my MP1,1, which has an SSD and a Radeon 4870. I understand that my SDD should be even faster in a newer machine, and I can drop in pretty much any GPU, right? Should I consider certain models to make my GPU selection wider?

I would *love* to get the R2D2, but the more I read the less fascinated I am. Sure, Thunderbolt would be great and the SSD would likely scream, but the GPU offerings are a joke (the best model is the Fire version of the 7970, which isn't even sold any more) and will cost way too much.

Am I missing anything? Can anyone offer a reason to get the new model that I might be missing?

If you can get a 5.1 2010 or 2012 Mac Pro, would be good. Though the model, if it's a quad, hex or 12 core will depend on the task you will be using the computer for. The dual cpus in the 5.1 are easier to upgrade if you plan to get the 8 core or 12 core. Another option is get a 4.1 quad tower and upgrade the CPU to a hex 3.33ghz. The 4.1 2.66ghz quad goes for around $800+ which offers the lowest cost to upgrade at faster speeds. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.