best prices for 15.4in macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bushman1, Oct 13, 2007.

1. bushman1 macrumors regular

I am looking into a macbook pro and I want to find the best price. Which store is the best.

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

You could get an education discount if you are in College.

3. kwfl macrumors 6502

i am form UK and a student in a unviersity

u can get 15% discount on your macbook Pro if u log in from ur university computer and go to UK store and click Education discounts, and the click Store for Higher Education, (note: higher education Not Education)

u will get 15% off
    mine was 1600 and i got it by 1360
    makes a difference, doesnt it?

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Assuming you're in the US, the EDU store will give you a good discount ($100 off on macbooks and $200 off on mbps, and upgrades at 10% off). However, if you are not a student, MacConnection is a good place. Their prices are usually about 10% less than the Apple Store's, but the advantage is that for most states, they won't charge you sales tax (whether or not you have to pay this tax afterwards is up to the laws in your state, so don't take this as advice to break any laws).

5. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

see if your university has bundle packages set up through your school.
    a lot schools buy macs through the school and then sell them to students for up to 500 hundred dollars cheaper. Although they are usually the higher end models and not as cheap.. my school offers MBP 2.4 for 2300 WITH apple care. thats a fantastic deal no matter who you talk to.
    check and see. its totally worth it.

and if you are not in school. try to find a friend who is and purchase it through them.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Basically with the Apple MAP (minimum advertised price) the prices don't vary much, though not charging taxes, rebates, freebies (ram, printers, services, etc.), no cost shipping, etc. can chip away at the price.

If a place offers more than $5-10 off the price off the price on a new machine, it generally won't happen -- unless it is an open box/used.

If you want 10-20% off the price of a new machine, there is Special Deals section on the Apple Store for refurbished machines, and old stock.

There basically aren't deals on Macs like there are store to store deals on PCs.

---

Otherwise you need education discounts, corporate discounts, or need to sign up with Apple as a developer to get that discount.

The last likely being worth a shot if you don't "know" someone.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ahem. And those aren't open box items either.
    This is a good idea for those who are in need of a good deal. Even MacConnection can't match the refurb store in terms of lowest possible price.
    This is one of those things that new switchers must remember. Driving around town going into every electronics store will be a futile exercise, as Apple is quite strict in their pricing policy. As mentioned previously, if you can't come up with the money to buy a brand new model, the refurb store is your best bet.