Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
My printer just broke, so I'm looking for a cheap replacement printer. I only need it for printing pages of text usually, and I don't need any of these all-in-one packages so many companies offer now. I'm looking to spend less than $100.

The ink must be cheap ($10-15 for a black cartridge).

JoshLV

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Las Vegas
I purchased this for school, along with my MBP. I bought it because it is compact, good looking, cheap, and prints and scans. So far it has been good. There are 2 issues I'm having with it, though:
1. I'm having trouble setting it up. Every time I turn my MBP on, the HP setup screen pops up and prompts me to set it up and choose my printer from the list. Well, there is nothing in the list! I haven't found out what to do about it yet, and it's really annoying.
2. I can't get it to scan! It says plug it in, but it is!

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
I purchased this for school, along with my MBP. I bought it because it is compact, good looking, cheap, and prints and scans. So far it has been good. There are 2 issues I'm having with it, though:
1. I'm having trouble setting it up. Every time I turn my MBP on, the HP setup screen pops up and prompts me to set it up and choose my printer from the list. Well, there is nothing in the list! I haven't found out what to do about it yet, and it's really annoying.
2. I can't get it to scan! It says plug it in, but it is!

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for something smaller, though, since all I need is printing.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
When I was researching printers for school use, I decided on a laser printer. The printer itself costs a bit more up-front, but lower cost of supplies makes it cheaper in the long-run. A $25-$50 toner cartridge will print >2000 pages, whereas inkjet cartridges usually cost $10-$15 and print 100-200 pages. also, laser printers print much clearer text than inkjets. There are decent laser printers available for under $100.

minicoop503

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
I agree with getting a laser printer. I got the Samsung ML-2510 from CompUSA for 60 dollars after rebate. The "starter" toner lasted me 800 pages, and I got a refill kit (a bottle of toner and fuse), for 8 dollars and filled it back up. Super cheap!

Also, its prints very fast and nice.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
Intriguing. I've never dealt with a laser printer before. Instead of buying new toner cartridges every time, can I just bring it to Walgreens and have them fill it up for $10? Or are those services only for inkjet cartridges/printers?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Recycling toner cartridges is a significant business. However, it is not a $10 Walgreens service.

minicoop503

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Intriguing. I've never dealt with a laser printer before. Instead of buying new toner cartridges every time, can I just bring it to Walgreens and have them fill it up for $10? Or are those services only for inkjet cartridges/printers?

You don't have to bring it anywhere. I bought a bottle of toner from http://www.tonerkits.com/ and popped the little plug off my cartridge, poured it in, popped in the new fuse they sent me, and put it back in the printer. It worked perfectly, and I got a "high yield" container of toner for 8 dollars. I stilll have a little less than half of it left too.

P.S. Just make sure its not windy outside when you are refilling it though :)

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
You don't have to bring it anywhere. I bought a bottle of toner from http://www.tonerkits.com/ and popped the little plug off my cartridge, poured it in, popped in the new fuse they sent me, and put it back in the printer. It worked perfectly, and I got a "high yield" container of toner for 8 dollars. I stilll have a little less than half of it left too.

P.S. Just make sure its not windy outside when you are refilling it though :)

Good tip, thank you! :D

Wingscofounder

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2005
NY
My printer just broke, so I'm looking for a cheap replacement printer. I only need it for printing pages of text usually, and I don't need any of these all-in-one packages so many companies offer now. I'm looking to spend less than $100.

The ink must be cheap ($10-15 for a black cartridge).

I'll echo the suggestion for a laser printer. I have the brother HL-2040, which I got on sale for about $50. They now sell the HL-2140 as the entry level printer. I'm currently in school and print mostly text as well (although grayscale graphics look decent too). Both the brother and the samsung mentioned above will serve you well. Check frequently for rebates and sales, since you can usually find them under $70. It will be awhile before you have to worry about refilling the toner (brother starter will do about 1000 pages, so they say. I haven't run out yet).
Good luck!

SubaruNation555

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Virginia, USA
I have a $100 HP all-in-one (Photosmart C3180) and all I do is text printing at school at at $14 a pop for a black cartridge I will be investing in a laser printer this summer. Something to think about if you do a lot of text printing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.