Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Hi guys

I'm looking for some advice regarding database apps. I'm going to be starting a medical audit. I'll be collecting binary (yes/no), linear (eg blood values) and textual (diagnosis) data for around 50 patients and then presenting my findings. I've used Excel in the past, which has been ok, but is easier to use for group data/interpretation rather than looking at a specific patient. Is there a programme for OS X that would allow me to collate the same variety of date for a number of different patients and then either calculate it for me or allow me to export the data into something else? If there's an associated iPad app that would be even better.

Cheers

Efrem

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
In terms of end-user database management systems for Mac, FileMaker Pro is pretty much the only game in town. Fortunately, it's also good.

That said, from your description I'm not sure your application is beyond Excel yet. You might look into its filters and LOOKUP functions to see if they will meet your needs before going to a "real" DBMS. Custom VBA programming in Excel can also do just about anything a DBMS can, some may recommend it, but I'd use FileMaker rather than go that route.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
In terms of end-user database management systems for Mac, FileMaker Pro is pretty much the only game in town. Fortunately, it's also good.

That said, from your description I'm not sure your application is beyond Excel yet. You might look into its filters and LOOKUP functions to see if they will meet your needs before going to a "real" DBMS. Custom VBA programming in Excel can also do just about anything a DBMS can, some may recommend it, but I'd use FileMaker rather than go that route.

In that case would Bento be an acceptable alternate? I only really need to manage about 50-100 patients with about 20 bits of info per patient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.