Best Program for Easy Website Development?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by andreab35, Dec 20, 2008.

1. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Hey guys!

I work for two auto dealerships managing their websites. I use a host through Host Gator and it comes with two free online website builders: Site Studio and Site Builder.

However, the templates they provide are not too professional to suite an auto dealership. I would like it to make it more advanced in style.

On Host Gator, they do have Flash templates and other templates for free that are perfect for the two websites I manage. However, I don't have the required software, like Dreamweaver, etc, and I don't want to pester my boss to get software like this that can cost a pretty penny.

My question is- do you know any free, website builders that can build a nice website for an auto dealership? I have iWeb, but that's only used for MobileMe users, correct?

Anyways, I appreciate on whatever help you can provide me!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

iWeb sites can be hosted on most web hosts since iWeb 2. You just have to publish to folder then upload the folder.

From the sounds of it, you aren't a coder, you want something to let you just point and click. That limits your options, especially if you want it for free. Rapidweaver is a typical suggestion (not free). Take a look through the stickies in this forum (also linked in my sig) to see some other software to take a look at. You'll be hard pressed to find a free option that you like and doesn't require any coding.

3. Daringescape macrumors regular

I'd say it sounds like you need to hire a web designer/developer. Designing an effective website isn't just a point and click venture, it helps to have a professional do it.

4. Scooby_Doo macrumors member

Scooby_Doo

Yes, you should look into getting a web developer to help or look over your work. Are there any Universities nearby? Perhaps a student would like to work on it and use it as a portfolio piece.

Having said that I agree with angelwatt, one of your best bets might be RapidWeaver. It does cost money but not much (I think around $80), which in this troubling economic time might be hard to get the company to pony up for, but could be well justified with a nice site and increased traffic. Consider downloading the demo.