Best program for taking notes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tstarks33, Jan 28, 2008.

1. tstarks33 macrumors regular

I'm a new Mac user after being a lifelong PC user. The thing I miss most is Microsoft's Onenote for taking notes in class. Is there anything for a Mac that is similar? TIA

2. Jason Edwards macrumors regular

I have recently switched to and was looking for the same type of program. I found a site that might help you find what your looking for.
    Its www.pure-mac.com/pims.html
    I have been trying out Dossier and it seems pretty nice so far. DEVONote seems to also be nice.

Good luck
    Jason

3. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

omni outliner comes on new macs, at least it did for me and i got my blackbook beginning of summer of 2007

i love omni outliner

5. Mitou macrumors regular

6. TomGolden macrumors member

TomGolden

It was free... apparently with the newest release (2.6) they have removed the difference between free for personal use and requiring a paid license for professional use. Now ALL instances require a $34.95 license.

7. tstarks33 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I must note that my macbook did NOT come with omni outliner! I will download and try it out, along with the rest.

Thanks again!

8. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Mine did not either

9. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I personally use the notebook view in Microsoft Word. It was a lifesaver during my last year of school.

10. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Another great little app is SlipBox-

http://markusguhe.net/slipbox/

It really all depends on what kind of features and organization you are looking for. SlipBox has a novel implementation of tag browsing that I like, plus its small and fast (and free).

I liked Journler, but found it a bit too much- I wanted something that provided good search and organizational capabilities, but was very simple and straightforward to use.

11. Evader macrumors newbie

I use Curio (http://www.zengobi.com/products/curio/), granted you have to pay for it, but it's worth it.

it stores documents within it, you can freely draw anywhere on the screen, place text anywhere on the screen, insert audio/video recordings, do mind maps and brainstorming. It's an amazing program and being very actively developed there's a free update almost weekly. I use it in college daily and I love it.

I spent days trying to find the perfect app, I tried everyone of the things mentioned in this thread and all of them were missing something that I needed. I highly suggest you at least give this a free trial. (i think it's 60 days free)

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

13. sigamy macrumors 65816

14. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

15. Daria macrumors regular

Daria

I think Notational Velocity is really great. It's simple, lightning fast, very streamlined and will also sync with Simplenote and Dropbox at the same time.

It's never failed me yet.

Check it out: http://notational.net

16. acore macrumors member

acore

17. acore macrumors member

acore

Also, I was curious about what people thought about Scrivener?

18. onekerato macrumors regular

I like Scrivener's Corkboard view for taking notes while watching video tutorials. In this view, I double-click the background to create a new index card and use the "Document Notes" inspector pane on the right to add text notes to an index card. When I'm ready, I add synopsis to each index card so I can see a visual summary of all cards. I also use label colors sparingly. I usually click around amongst the index cards as the video course progresses, easily adding notes to cards created earlier.

19. rgr555 macrumors 6502