Best program to rip audio CD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joms, Jul 15, 2010.

1. joms macrumors member

Hi,

Can someone tell me the best program to rip audio CD? Also, what extension is best to use if I am critical with sound quality? should i go for FLAC or WAV?

Thanks

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well you can rip with iTunes. you can also use it to play back and manage your music too. :p

while you can't rip your music to FLAC in iTunes, you can use Apple Lossless, i can't tell the difference between the two, but the latter has smaller file sizes.

3. joms thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

a) Can itunes rip as .wav as well?

b) Can Roxio Toast 10 rip audio cd? I can see a COPY CD but not rip....

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes iTunes can rip WAV and AIFF even if you want. just have to set it in preferences under import settings.

edit: i don't have toast so i'm not sure about its capabilities.

5. joms thread starter macrumors member

The thing is, i hate how itunes saves the music files. I can't access them so I can copy them from my laptop to my desktop and to my office computer. Can itunes do this? It would be much easier if the audio files in apple lossless format can be copy/paste via the finder

6. blakintosh macrumors member

Yes, it's possible when you import a song, use right click and choose "show in finder" and then you can copy the files to anywhere you want.

7. mmulin macrumors 6502

Select the songs you want to copy in iTunes and drag them to a folder or disk you want them to be copied to. Easy as pie.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"Can someone tell me the best program to rip audio CD? Also, what extension is best to use if I am critical with sound quality? should i go for FLAC or WAV?"

I can't say whether it's "the best", but there is a handy little app that plays and converts audio called "QTAmateur":
    http://www.mikeash.com/software/qtamateur/

It hasn't been updated for a while, but it still runs fine on 10.6.4.

There is also one called "Vox" if you google it.

9. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

If you want CD quality, I would use iTunes to rip it into Apple Lossless (I don't think iTunes supports FLAC). Apple Lossless is the same quality as WAV, but in a much smaller file size. You could always compare the two by ripping a song in the two formats.