Best Programming/I.T. Platfourm

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Ravernomina, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Ravernomina macrumors member

Hello.... im plaining to go to college for a IT career/Programming. Right now i only know that most Buisnessed/schools use Windows. So i fully installed Windows on my Mac (i know its sad). But i need to get prepared for what im getting into.... Is their anything other way to train for this and not Use Windblows? I hate the OS a lot lol. Boot time is bad... glitchy... not as secure. So anyone got any Ideas? thanks!
    Ravernomina :apple:

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just use Mac OS X. At your stage the hard part is learning programming languages and how to actually program and has nothing to do with the tools you will be using. Programming languages are the same on every platform (or should be - I'm looking at you J++!) that have a standards compliant compiler / interpreter available for them.

I'm guessing you'll most likely be using Java for your course or possibly something like Python. Both of which are available on all platforms you could possibly imagine. Even if your course uses C# you can still do that on Mac OS X if you install the Mono platform and optionally MonoDevelop.

Learn to program first then worry about the tools you will use later.

3. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

Look into what the courses you intend to take. If you're taking a computer science or computer engineering program, you're likely to be using languages that have plenty of tools available on OS X (though you'll probably need to SSH to the school's linux systems to test, since that's where your TAs and profs will do the grading). If you're planning on getting an MIS degree, etc. this is more likely to do things like VBA for scripting MS Office, Visual Basic .NET, etc. that is going to be easier on windows.

It may be awkward if the professor or TAs are using windows and you're using OS X, but if they're using linux or other UNIX-alike it shouldn't be an issue. Also, i doubt you're going to be the only one with a mac, so you should have some support from peers. Again, though, if you're in an actual CS/CE program, OS X should be just fine, it's only when you get into the MIS stuff that you might run into trouble.

-Lee

EDIT: You also mentioned "I.T.". For IT i'd say you need to be running the same platform your users are on. It's not strictly necessary, but if you're admin'ing a bunch of windows machines, but you don't use windows, that doesn't instill a lot of confidence in your users. You can certainly virtualize, used remote desktop, etc. to successfully admin windows from OS X, but it definitely seems to be "fighting the flow". If you're admin'ing UNIX-alikes, OS X will be fine. If you're admin'ing macs, obviously OS X is the right choice.

EDIT 2: If you are going to be involved in a business, or even academic setting where Windows is the primary platform in use, you'll need to take a more mature attitude about it. You won't get far calling it Winblows, etc. You may dislike it, but if you choose education or a career where you're exposed to it, you're going to have to deal with it professionally.

4. Ravernomina thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the help :). I think ill be switching Back to OS X now.... Windows is being itself.... and and i finally see i dnt need windows for everything. Thanks!

5. pikester macrumors newbie

pikester

Another tip, if you need to run Windows for something specific, you can always install Windows in a Virtual Machine on your Mac. You can purchase VMWare Fusion or Parallels to do this or you can try VirtualBox (free from Sun). These will also let you run Linux in a VM as well.