Best programs/apps

snowwhite007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just wondering what everyones running on there air and what programs/apps are worth getting.

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
My essentials:

dropbox - best free cloud data service

chrome - best internet browser

steam - mac games platform, sometimes I play team fortress 2 (free) or half-life 2 deathmatch

unrarx - extraction utility

f.lux - it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
1PasswordPro - secure password / logins / software licenses / bank details/ etc manager
Xcode 4
Automator
Codebox - code snippet / pattern manager
Desktop monitor - shows temps etc in a nice overlay on the side
Dropbox
Evernote
Handbrake
iDentify - tag m4v/mp4 movie files so they look nice iTunes/iPhone/iPad
makeMKV - rip DVDs and BluRay into mkv containers
MediaInfo - allows you to view various codec etc info on audio files
MS Office 2011
Omnigraffle - drawing tool similar to visio for pretty diagrams, mock ups etc
Path Finder - replacement for Finder
Pixelmator - drawing program
VLC
XLD - allows you to create lossless FLAC movie files

Last edited:

joshuaginter

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
Canada
Needless to say, whatever is considered an app that is "worth it" is dependent on what you use your computer for.

I use my Air for consuming media and writing. So I am constantly using:

Reeder
Twitter for Mac
Pages
Word
Wikibot
Day One

I also edit the occasional photo and find Pixelmator to be pretty fantastic. Lastly, for heavy duty writing purposes, Scrivener is second to none.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
My stack:

OmniFocus
DevonThink Pro Office
Adium
MS Office 2010
1Password
Parallels w/Win7
Adobe Lightroom
Adobe Photoshop CS5
Cyberduck
Growl
LittleSnitch
MoneyWell
PandoraJam
Ripit
VLC
Tinkertool
TextWrangler
PandoraJam
Path Finder
OmniGraffle
OmniPlan

Also have Lotus Notes and Symphony for work.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Download it straight from the internet.

I would also recommend f.lux. Smartest app ever!
There have been several recommendations for f.lux - I just dont get it. Can you help me understand what you love about this program? It just seems like its forcing me to use my screen with a weird gamma setting that I don't like much of the time....

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
There have been several recommendations for f.lux - I just dont get it. Can you help me understand what you love about this program? It just seems like its forcing me to use my screen with a weird gamma setting that I don't like much of the time....
Use it when it's dark. Set it to a low setting (3000K) and use it for an hour or two. Turn it up to normal suddenly and you will realize why I love this program.

Your eyes will thank you.

If my English was better I'd probably be able to explain it in more detail but I think it's easier for you to just try it out and see for yourself.

aph3x

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Reno, NV
As TheJing said - you really need to try this at night. If you are a person that uses your device before going to sleep programs like f.lux are a lifesaver. It *does* take a while to get used to but it can really benefit you at night. I especially like it on my iPad when I read because I have an easier time falling asleep if I haven't been staring at blue all night (disruptive to your sleep).

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
As TheJing said - you really need to try this at night. If you are a person that uses your device before going to sleep programs like f.lux are a lifesaver. It *does* take a while to get used to but it can really benefit you at night. I especially like it on my iPad when I read because I have an easier time falling asleep if I haven't been staring at blue all night (disruptive to your sleep).
Thanks for the responses guys - I appreciate it. I'll try it out.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
Glad I found this thread. At first I was a bit put off by it, but my eyes certainly feel better after using this. I don't know if it's placebo, or if it genuinely works (time will tell), but so far my eyes are grateful for it.

cedwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Canada
I use BitTorrent, Evernote, CoconutBattery, VLC, Chrome and my latest one would be iA Writer, which is the best writing app I've ever used. Absolutely love it!

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
Glad I found this thread. At first I was a bit put off by it, but my eyes certainly feel better after using this. I don't know if it's placebo, or if it genuinely works (time will tell), but so far my eyes are grateful for it.
Try it at a low setting and turn it up suddenly. It's not placebo. ;)

snowwhite007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

O notice ppl use Utorrent wat torrents are worth downloading?

chipz

macrumors member
May 4, 2005
Voorhees, NJ
Best programs/apps

Added to the others already mentioned, consider iBank as a replacement for Quicken and Libre Office as a replacement for M$ Office. Libre Office can read and save files in the M$ Office formats. Download it from libreoffice.org.

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007

O notice ppl use Utorrent wat torrents are worth downloading?
The world, chico. And everything in it. torrentz.com

Kyllle

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
I just downloaded f.lux and have been using it for about 20 minutes now. I set it to the slow transition (1 hour), and it's interesting to watch it change over time, as the sun is just setting for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.