Best protection for carrying around my MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by G0meZ, Jan 25, 2014.

1. G0meZ, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

G0meZ macrumors regular

i'm looking for a backpack or messenger bag that really protects my 15" macbookpro from bumps - i am spectacular when it comes to dropping stuff :(

so, doing several hours of research, i came up with these two candidates:

http://www.sfbags.com/products/hardcase/hardcase.php

nice but very expensive and the lid isn't closing tight enough for my taste, besides, it's a messenger bag, lugging this around for hours will take its toll on my back.

then there's this one:
    http://www.brenthaven.com/macbook-cases/prostyle-slimpack-blkwht

seems cool, but not a hardcase and I do wonder if that padding is good enough for clumsy me...

mind you, there's tanks like pelicangear but they seem a bit over the top, heavy and more geared towards the battlefield than the city.

....so...feedback is greatly appreciated...
    experience with those two?
    other suggestions?

thanks.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Speck cover and an incase sleeve would be a good start. Then just get a bag with a laptop partition inside it.

3. G0meZ thread starter macrumors regular

yeah had an incase once. they protect against scratches, is all.
    hitting the ground is what i need protection for...something to cushion the blow

4. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

i find the fact that it's made of metal is protection enough

my macbook air has been treated awfully (dropped onto concrete, items dropped onto the computer, it's been stood on, liquid spills, used in the kitchen) and the only signs of this are a couple of cosmetic dents on the shell

no need to treat it like a plastic windows computer :)

5. G0meZ thread starter macrumors regular

well I'd respond that you've been lucky and lucky.
    dropped a pre-unibody once on the pavement, inside a well padded old school laptop bag and the case literally folded near the dvi port, all the way through.
    it still worked, all good, but resale value drops badly...

6. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I got a MBP padded sleeve that turned out to be a bit too big. So I put the MBP in a cheap neoprene sleeve, then that inside the larger sleeve. I can fit that in whatever bag I want, with the advantage being that thieves cannot target it as an obviously laptop bag.

7. JAT macrumors 603

Aren't your 2 links above the same? Anyway, check out Tom Bihn. They have an insert bag (Brain Cell) with hard sides and a shock absorber on the bottom. It can be used by itself as a small bag, or it locks inside many of their larger bags. (or fits into any large bag)

8. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

I'd suggest an incase or speck 2-piece clamshell case (body and lid) and any decent padded laptop bag.

9. G0meZ thread starter macrumors regular

the brain cell looks nice but seems half-baked to me. the top side is unpadded, why leave one of four sides unprotected?...murphy's law makes sure that if I drop my notebook it'll land on this side.

----------

indeed. sry, fixed it in the op:
    http://www.brenthaven.com/macbook-cases/prostyle-slimpack-blkwht

10. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i put mine in a case logic sleeve, most people do that. if you also have a laptop bag it will be plenty protected.

11. JAT macrumors 603

Mine's 10 years old or more and looks a bit different, but the top closes and the flaps are padded like any padded case. No, not as good as the spring effect of the bottom of the bag (and I see it now includes memory foam), but as good as most bags have on all 6 sides.

12. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I use a Brenthaven backpack which has a laptop compartment that is very well padded. Offers great protection. I also take care with how I carry it and set it down.

13. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

For the portables.....

I am owned or used, I always gone with good internal padding or/and hardcases.....Too many good brands to make a recommendation.....But Brenthaven, CaseLogic and booq bags have nice offers....:eek:

:):apple:

14. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I second the Tom Bihn, the sleeve is a tank. And the top flaps that velcro shut are padded. It's expensive at $60, but if you want something that you don't have to worry about it's the one to get, in my opinion.

15. esskay macrumors 6502

Also, if you're prone to dropping things, it would probably be wise to invest in an SSD for your MBP if it doesn't already have one.

16. G0meZ thread starter macrumors regular

couldn't agree with you more... love the new rmpb, no moving parts left in these machines...beautiful :apple:

17. CombatCaptured macrumors newbie

CombatCaptured

Pelican do make a line of Not so Crazy (and cheaper) backpacks

U105 urban

18. G0meZ thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for tip mate.
    but those are a little too crazy for my taste...i'm not heading for afrika or something...besides, I think they scream 'mug me, I got expensive hi-tech on my back'