Best Protection for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Moles, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Moles macrumors newbie

So I ordered myself a macbook pro 15" (the newest model) and will pick it up in 2.5 weeks (tax free weekend at my school). I want to get some protection for the device while in use and in transport to and from school/work ect. I have a decent backback for laptops already. What about a neoprene sleave? Are they good extra protection? What about the Speck type cases that are a hard form fitting case? Are they good protection or just for looks? Essentially I want to do everything I can to protect the laptop while going to and from school.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The Speck Case should offer you the protection that you want for the laptop. I used one on my MacBook Pro for a long time before it became my desktop replacement computer. But you've got to be a bit wary of sand/dirt getting between the case and the MacBook Pro, as it can cause tiny scratches. Other than that, the Speck case is a great investment and it does its job well. (The scratches issue will be inherent to any hard case though)

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Don't bother with the protection crap. Just take care of your machine and it will last a long time. The only thing you really need is a backpack, which you already have.
    If your backpack isn't padded well enough, just buy a sleeve type carrying case: one that you take the computer out of to use.

4. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

IMO the only thing you can protect a machine from is scratches - no case adds drop protection, etc. That's kind of up to you. That being said, I personally have the Zagg Invisible Shield (which I love) as it doesn't add any bulk but protects from scratches and wear such as palm rest wear, etc. Add the $15 sleeve from Target and it's a good match. If I am going heavy, I use the sleeve in my bag forming a firmer fit. Normally, it's just the MBP in the bag, though.
    Any other snap on case that you put on it will trap dust and dirt under it causing it to act more like sand paper. If you're going to use a case permanently, I suppose that won't matter. However, if you decide to go naked in the future it could be ugly if you aren't diligent all along.

5. 1ne macrumors regular

I got the invisible shield along with my notebook bag which I was luck enough to fit 2 notebooks.. :D

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Actually, the hard cases do offer good protection from dents IMO. If I had the Speck Case on my MacBook Pro then it wouldn't have been dented in the corner earlier this year. And it is good peace of mind having it on.

7. Moles thread starter macrumors newbie

I have scratched the hell out of my work Dell and my personal Dell laptops just putting them into a backpack and taking it out of them, and I am careful. I think for my personal piece of mind, some protection is warranted. With two kids and a wife, spending this much money on a laptop isn't "easy" so I want to make sure there is no concerns from the wife that I am taking care of it.

8. 1ne macrumors regular

Same here. That's why I invested on the invisible shield to prevent scratches.

9. JMBrown macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a Waterfield Designs Sleevecase (http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.htm) for my new 13" MBP and I have been extremely pleased with it. Its fits by notebook perfectly and the craftsmanship is absolutely top notch! While it probably wouldn't prevent damage more severe situations, I'm very confident this sleeve will be more than enough to prevent scratches and dents in my day-to-day activities.

10. amoergosum macrumors 6502

11. Shambles macrumors regular

Get the Booq Vyper. I've just got mine for my 13" MBP and it is the most protective case I've ever seen. Perfect to sling in a backpack. :)

12. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

13. /user/me macrumors 6502

I'd use a condom. It's the best protection for everything

14. Deeps macrumors regular

:D :D :D

I use a speck case for my MBP. Would definitely recommend it.

15. Zeus86 macrumors member

I was thinking about buying a case for my i5 but I said forget it cause they all make the macbook look ugly.

16. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

My 4 year old 17" MBP looks brand new (never mind that it is outdated) and it has been in a Speck since day 1. My new 17" MBP is also in a Speck case with the Moshi palm guard.

17. Berknip macrumors member

nik! I remember you from XtremeSystems.

I use speck cases as well. My 2007 MBP and 2009 MBP both look as new as the day I bought them - and they have been VERY well traveled.

I also like the waterfield bags, although I have a Tom Bihn myself.

Just my 2 cents.

18. caonimadebi macrumors regular

I've been using InvisibleShield (actually a similar product from BestSkinsEver)and an Incase Neoprene sleeve (remember to get the plus version as the old version scratches). Not a scratch/dent on the MBP, one year into ownership.
    The skin protects from scratches, and the Incase really does a great job of protecting against minor bump and drops. The edges of sleeve are reinforced with foam and makes it MUCH more protective than your average sleeve.