Best protective case for high impact?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Friscochris, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Friscochris macrumors member

When I snowboard I usually bring my MP3 player with me. Now that I have the iphone all my music is on that. I would like to sell my old MP3 player, but before i do that I need to find a case that will completely protect my iphone in case of high impact crash or whatever else. It can be a completely enclosed case or whatever, just needs to be ultra protective. It will sit in my jacket pocket near my chest (inside pocket)... any suggestions?

2. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

3. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

seconded.

4. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you don't like the bulk of Otterbox try the switch easy capsual rebel. A great case that can take a lick or two.

6. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    otterbox defender......

gives me a piece of mind on the construction site! when i take it out of the OB once a week or so to give it a quick inspection it looks brand new! 0 scratches anywhere........

7. Friscochris thread starter macrumors member

Yeah looks real good. Its exactly what I need. Thanks.

:eek: Good Lord.

Thats what I currently have. Although it is good, I would not trust it if I were to fall on it or something ya know?

One question for you. How is the headphone port opening? On a lot of cases it takes a skinny jack to fit into the port, is this the same way? I have to look at the jack again that I will be plugging in, but I am pretty sure it is a little thicker than the standard iphone phones.

Thanks for the help guys. I think this will do what I need it to do. I just need to make enough money on my other MP3 player to pay for this and have some extra $$. Word.

8. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

headphone opening is plenty big... i have a couple of sets and it fits my larger plug with plenty of room..... without ruler in front of me i'd say 3/8" diam opening... might be a little shy of that (maybe 5/16" diam)... but it's large....

the OB defender has a very solid feel, even with wet hands, it's non slip great quality rubber outside..... and all the "flaps" on the openings fit snug (headphone, dock connector & vibrate toggle switch).... it will take you a few times to get used to taking the case on and off .. but once you've done it a few times you can take it off quickly....

9. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I am looking at my Defender right now. It has a very wide open headphone port. It should not be a problem for almost any headphone jack you could think of. I would totally trust this case with almost anything thrown at it.

10. Friscochris thread starter macrumors member

Glad the headphone port is big because I have a big angled jack to put in it? (WAT??) ...Man that dont sound right.... :eek:

lol

What colors do you guys have? Black and Yellow don't look too bad, but I am digging the white one to.

edit: Just seen they ship from Ft Collins... Right up the road from me.. should come quick!

11. livingiphone macrumors newbie

You are Rad

haha. wow you want to bring your iphone on snowboarding. try the otterbox defender. I hope you still wont smash it up. lol

12. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Checking out the Otterbox for my high-octane sports. Now I just need one that I can take to 150ft underwater...That would be my ultimate case!

13. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

ya... 15 or 20' is the best i've seen......

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

personally I would say just get something like the Camelbak MULE. It works great for thinks like snow boarding/ skiing because it allows you to carry water (3L) and has room for some other stuff. Plus it has a spot to put a media player/cell phone. I have stored my phone up there when I have gone mountain biking and it has taken some huge hits from crashes on much harder ground then when you crash on skis/ snowboards and my phones have come way with out a scratch.

I have landed on bolder before at speeds the camelbak being the object that took the brunt of the crash and the phone had nothing wrong with it.