Best protective Case for MacBoook Pro (NEW ONE)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TySki311, Jan 19, 2009.

1. TySki311 macrumors newbie

I have new 2.53 macbook pro, and I am curious as to which case big mac lovers would recommend to protect it against scratches, etc.

Does Incase make one yet for the late 2008 models?

Thanks ,

2. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

Speck makes one that is clear and fits like a Glove.

If you want a thin film...then invisible shields makes a clear sticker kit that is in the form of the MBP laptops etc.

3. jbussiere macrumors member

4. isaki87 macrumors regular

How much thickness does this case add to the MBP? IIRC, the previous Speck Hardcase for the Non Unibody Pro's made my laptop feel extremely bulky and compromised the unique thinness of the MBP

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

6. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Personally I'm waiting for Macally to release their BookShell Pro for the new MBP models.:D

7. isaki87 macrumors regular

Greatly appreciated.

If anyone else wants the photos, they are here.

8. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

I got the Speck case, but I sent it back. The bottom piece didn't want to go on all the way and the top did go on, but it seemed to make the lid/display much heavier - to the point where it wanted to fall closed or all the way back. Maybe I just got a lemon, but I was so excited to be getting it and sorely disappointed when it came.

I got the Zagg Invisashield and I like it. It comes with a trackpad piece which I found too tacky and took off, but the rest of it is great.

9. ljay macrumors newbie

Same Here...Speck case seemed to add bulk and mine arrived with a small crack on the bottom piece. I'm much happier with the zagg shield.

10. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I love my Zagg on my iPhone but it was a pain to put on, I'd offer to ship my MBP to some professional installer if they could do a good job. I wish someone offered this service.

11. akbc macrumors 6502

I use Speck SeeThru Satin Black.

Awesome case with awesome protection and feel :)

12. jbussiere macrumors member

It does add some bulk to the computer. But that will be necessary if you want a hard protective shell that will protect against bumps and dents/dings. But IMO, it doesn't add THAT much to it. It still fits into my incase neoprene with the hardcase on it.

13. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I have the Speck’s Clear SeeThru hard shell case and it gives my Unibody MBP a G4 Cube look.

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you're prone to dropping things, Tom Bihn's horizontal or vertical brain cell would be your best bet. If it can protect an egg, then it'll keep your MBP safe.
    If you're only worried about scratches, a sleeve will do the trick (preferably one without zippers . . . imo, the zippers have the potential to scratch). Or, you can also apply one of the invisible type skins out there. Because I got Waterfield's mambo combo, it came with a sleeve. I customized the sleeve with D rings, so I could carry the sleeve without the bag.

15. chungky macrumors newbie

Any thoughts on the Marware Sportfolio sleeve for Macbook Pro? I have the unibody, but not sure this one will fit. This sleeve intrigues me because it can possibly hold the AC adapter too? Any thoughts?

16. titaniummd macrumors member

About 1 mm on each surface. So about two millimeters of thickness top to bottom are added.

This is the one I purchased.

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Product...inum-Keyboard/dp/B001L8JTTI/ref=cm_lmf_tit_11

17. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

i am curious about the horizontal sleeves. do they have a rigid structure to provide good cushioning? i use a messenger bag and the sleeve is a good idea except i'd prefer it with a bit more rigidity. i travel a bit as well and the thought of a sleeve is very appealing to me.

18. mladenz macrumors regular

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

When I had my PBG4 my Crumpler bag had an excellent padded laptop compartment so I never needed a sleeve. Now that my NewBook Pro won't fit in that compartment, just a hair too wide, I picked up the Incase padded sleeve and I put my MBP in the main compartment of the bag. My GF has a speck clear case thing for her OldBook Pro and I think it looks hideous so I'll take my chances.

20. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Well, the video shows it can protect an egg. However, you should get in touch with the people at Tom Bihn. They answer their e-mails promptly and are extremely helpful. Or you can use the product forums on the website.

21. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Does anyone know if Zagg or a authorized distributor will install the shield for you on a notebook? I live in Atlanta and have never seen a local booth or anything in the malls. I did Zagg for my iPhone and it took my 30 minutes to get it right and I can only imagine how long a laptop would take to get on.