best protective case for outside of the 2010 macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sossity, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have just recently bought a 2010 15 i7 macbook pro, & am looking for an outer case cover. So far I saw the spec tough covers, but they dont seem to have one for the newer macbook pros 2010, I read that the power adapter is different form previous models. so What ever I end up getting, I would like to be sure it will fit the newer 2010 models.

I am also on the look out for a good keyboard & screen cover.

2. iamuurme macrumors newbie

hey just go for any case with a decent price and value. you should just like carry it and be gentle that way it will be with yo for years also about the protector i find that unnecessary. the display comes with a glass plate so there is no need for a protector it will not get scratch unless intended. about the keyboard i use softcloth to clean it i put it on ma 13 macbook pro and clean it from time to time when im not using it. very nice and need just dont waste your money safe up for a better investment i believe.:D

3. wwe2008 macrumors 6502

I also need a new case for my new MBP... I like the SeeThrru as they seem quite translucent so the clear one you can see everthing etc. But do they scratch the MBP at all, such as where they tabs go etc :)

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I've owned a couple of generations of Speck and Incase. I recommend the latter. You can read my thoughts on the Speck See-Thru Satin here.

5. wwe2008 macrumors 6502

6. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried to read your link about the speck products case, but got a database error. Do the incases accommodate the newer power supply cord for the 2010 macbook pro models? this seems to be a problem right now for macbook case makers.

7. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

as long as the any case will fit the newer macbook pro 2010 power cords, I read that the current speck & in case cases do not quite fit the power cord. I dont want to waste money on something that does not fit.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I have a Pelican 1090 hardcase that I carry my whitebook in and its water proof to boot with a lifetime warranty on the case itself (unless you've gotten attached by a bear, shark or 5 year old child - <--- not kidding on that last one either, that's what the owners card says):eek:

9. TXOID macrumors newbie

Bought both...;P

Bought a Speck See Thru for my new MBP 2010. Apparently they'd just nicked out the extra plastic near the magsafe connector...:(

And yesterday when I tried to remove the case for the weekly clean up, I broke one of the hook holding the lower case...Long story short, I went out and got an Incase Hardshell(Black) today. I put it on just now, it fits great. Unlike Speck, they didn't cut out the extra plastic, the lower part seems to be newly built. But material-wise, I think speck has thicker plastic:eek: Incase has slimmer plastic.(Incase's feels slightly slimmer in my hand) But the hooks on the Incase's seems to be built better, they feel tougher :rolleyes:

My suggestion, buy both and return the one that you don't like :p

10. Bnikel160 Guest

the same exact thing just happened to my speck case, they seem to of made them a lot weaker....where you able to get your money back from speck?

11. Bnikel160 Guest

oh and ps the new specks work with the new adapter, but id rather get one that didnt fit because you can still use the older cases with the adapter flipped, the new cases have a thinner hook and they seem to be cracking off...mine just did im trying to see if i cant get my money back or it replaced

12. lopezmatthew01 macrumors newbie

I just got a 13 inch macbook pro yesterday and since my cousin works at bestbuy she got me the incase neoprene sleeve at a discount. It absolutely fits like a glove. A hard case is really not necessary. Best thing is that you get to enjoy the actual slimness of the laptop when out of the sleeve. Ps the zippers do not and will not scrape against the computer....that was my initial concern.

13. aopolis macrumors newbie

most best buys I've been to lately also have the hardshell incase cases, & they do fit the 2010 mbp

I had ordered the green one through an amazon seller since they were (& may still be) sold out on the incase website, but they never sent it...

I was stoked when I saw that Best Buy has them now.. so ya, I got the green one and it fits fine, you can even just walk over the the macbook pros on display and you can tell that it won't block the power adapter or the kensington lock or the mic or anything.

love my incase, not as bulky as the other ones out there

14. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I just got a Book Book from Twelve South. Not quite a direct cover, but it works well. Now I feel confident enough to put my MBP in my Targus backpack for transport. I looked at all the fitted covers and sleeves but didn't see anything that grabbed my attention.:apple: