Best Protective Case

dbstr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
I am about to start as a firefighter, and was originally going for the Griffin Survivor... But what other options are there?

I need something that can take a beating, but I don't like the Case Mate Tank. ;-)

Any suggestions?

Also - anyone knows a place to buy Griffin Woogie 2 in Europe?

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
If I was a firefighter I would go with the likes of the Griffin Survivor or even LifeProof. From watching some videos it looks like the LifeProof can take a beating as well as offer protection from water, dust etc.

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I am about to start as a firefighter, and was originally going for the Griffin Survivor... But what other options are there?

I need something that can take a beating, but I don't like the Case Mate Tank. ;-)

Any suggestions?

Also - anyone knows a place to buy Griffin Woogie 2 in Europe?
Griffin Survivor is a beast of a case. Lifeproof has problems with the screen protector and you can only put it on 50 times throughout the life of the case

dthmtlgod

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Griffin Survivor is a beast of a case. Lifeproof has problems with the screen protector and you can only put it on 50 times throughout the life of the case
LifeProof is the way to go. Screen protector issues are not happening to everyone. Mine had no issues. I did drop my phone and it took a big gouge of out the case, but held up very well.

dbstr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
Thanks all!

Most likely gonna stick to the survivor then, but suggestions are still welcome :)

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Asbestos I can figure, you need something flame retardant!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

Atmosphere

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2011
normal cases are for regular joes dropping phones and whatnot, but given your line of work, i'd suggest AppleCare

ChiliBlue

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I returned the Tank case. Very sturdy and I thought it was better than the Otterbox Defender. However, you couldn't comfortably use the keyboard. The last row was totally unusable. It lasted for 5 hours on my phone before I put it back in the box. I'll give kudos to CaseMate's customer service. They were quick and not jerks about the return.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I returned the Tank case. Very sturdy and I thought it was better than the Otterbox Defender. However, you couldn't comfortably use the keyboard. The last row was totally unusable. It lasted for 5 hours on my phone before I put it back in the box. I'll give kudos to CaseMate's customer service. They were quick and not jerks about the return.
In my opinion you can't put the Defender in the same category as the likes of the Tank. It's an in between of the likes of the Speck Candyshell and the likes of the Tank.

JayJayJay

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2011
In my opinion you can't put the Defender in the same category as the likes of the Tank. It's an in between of the likes of the Speck Candyshell and the likes of the Tank.
Agreed.

Say what you want about the Tank in terms of it's looks (and I will likely agree), or in terms of how it affects keyboard usability, but, in terms of PURE ability to protect your investment, there isn't a better option out there.

The Defender just isn't in the same league.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Agreed.

Say what you want about the Tank in terms of it's looks (and I will likely agree), or in terms of how it affects keyboard usability, but, in terms of PURE ability to protect your investment, there isn't a better option out there.

The Defender just isn't in the same league.
The Griffin Survivor is a great option too. If I was a firefighter like the OP I would go with no less than the Tank or Survivor, possible LifeProof.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.