Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charlier15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
I bought the new iPad the day it came out, but still have not been able to settle on a case for it. I have a neoprene sleeve, but want to get a protective case as well.

I've been researching Otterbox, gumdrop and griffin survivor. I have two main concerns:

1)I want to make sure the case has a lot of cushion so that it does not scratch the iPad. I've had cases in the past on my iPod that have actually left more scratches then they've prevented.

2)I'd prefer to have something that distorts the screen as little as possible. I already have a screen protector on my iPad. I know these all have built in protectors, but am wondering which one best shows off the retina display.

The iPad really doesn't travel a lot and therefore my primary concern is preventing small bumps and scratches while still being able to enjoy the screen/look of the iPad. I'm just curious if anyone has had experiences in these two areas.

ndrosubiyanto

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
Indonesia
I bought the new iPad the day it came out, but still have not been able to settle on a case for it. I have a neoprene sleeve, but want to get a protective case as well.

I've been researching Otterbox, gumdrop and griffin survivor. I have two main concerns:

1)I want to make sure the case has a lot of cushion so that it does not scratch the iPad. I've had cases in the past on my iPod that have actually left more scratches then they've prevented.

2)I'd prefer to have something that distorts the screen as little as possible. I already have a screen protector on my iPad. I know these all have built in protectors, but am wondering which one best shows off the retina display.

The iPad really doesn't travel a lot and therefore my primary concern is preventing small bumps and scratches while still being able to enjoy the screen/look of the iPad. I'm just curious if anyone has had experiences in these two areas.

If you like folio style, my suggestions for you is Switcheasy Canvas. This case deserved flat A from ilounge the day it was reviewed.

I love the canvas feel on it.

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008

I cannot recommend the two cases suggested above. They are good cases in its class, but they definitely do not offer the same level of protection, as the three you listed. Its the difference between a good standard case vs a good rugged case.

as for the gumdrop, did you see this review yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrdAxPe3OCI

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
The new Defender has the velvet inside to cushion the back half, while the plastic only touches the bezel around the edges... and getting rid of the built-in screen protector is something I'd recommend doing. And the denser rubber seems to be rather protective, at least enough to help insulate the plastic inner frame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.