Best protective film for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by tikidoc, May 17, 2010.

1. tikidoc macrumors regular

tikidoc

I have been seeing a number of threads for protective films that are applied to the front and back of the iPad, such as the Clear Coat and other similar products. Opinions on which is the best one?

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I really like the invisible shield I have on mine.

3. T4R06 macrumors 65816

how was it when doing swiping, pinching, etc..

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have seen the IS, and tried installing a BodyGuardz on a MacBook only to send it back. In my experience, the best price and the best skin is hands down the BSE - bestskinsever. I prefer to go back skin only as all these skins have a slight orange peel style grippy feel that is great for holding or nice in case and dirt gets in side your other case to prevent scratching.

As far as the screen goes, some people go full body with a skin, but in my opinion if you want screen protection, get a separate film style screen protector like the PowerSupport Crystal Film or Anti-Glare or the SGP Steinheil or Incipio films. They protect the glass, some give reduced fingerprints and glare and mimic the feel of the glass.

5. Lancer786 macrumors newbie

Having owned two iPhones and now an iPad, I always use the PS crystal films to give myself some extra piece of mind against scratches and rubbing off the oil resistant coating.

Aside from the awesome quality, they seem to resist oils just as good as the glass and there is no impact on the screen color or touch sensitivity. The two on my iPhones lasted well beyond a year, but to be fair I still babied them a bit even with the protection.

The best part for me is that the films use static and don't require water or adhesive. If you're considering a film, this is my recommendation hands down.

6. tikidoc thread starter macrumors regular

tikidoc

I was looking at the ones that apply with a solution rather than static because when I put the static ones on my ipod, I never could get them bubble-free. I certainly would prefer one that does not use a solution (don't like the idea of getting the iPad wet, even just a little) but the bubbles annoy the heck out of me.

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Solutions are easy. You turn it off completely. You don't put a lot on. You let it sit 12-24 hours before you turn it back on or even plug it in to charge it.

8. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I'm tempted to use the Zagg kiosk in the mall (near the Apple store at our mall I'm sure on purpose).
    The guy does it for you, so it should be a "professional" job, and I don't have to do it. The screen and install of it is like $35.
    I may give it a try. it's only $35 and I can always remove if it sucks.

Anyone else use Zagg?

9. phil75 macrumors newbie

I like ZAGG invisibleSHIELD and RadTech's Clear Cal screen protectors. The price tag for both of them is really worth it.

ZAGG also has a lifetime warranty so no worries there or you can just ask a refund if it's not your type.

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Your sites don't actually provide ANY reviews. It is just information on products. You don't mention having tested them or pros and cons.

11. phil75 macrumors newbie

Sorry about my blogs not providing thorough review. Well, we just wanted to lay down all the iPad cases that caught our eye and post a little something about them.

We're currently in talks with a couple of manufacturers who could send samples, by then I guess we could thoroughly review the product.

Those posts are just the foundation of the blog since we're just fairly new. Hopefully in the next month or so we could eventually personally review everything we post.

12. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Best Skins Ever hands down and if you want a matte protection then Wrapsol, although I found the Wrapsol to be cut improperly. You can see that in the vid.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I bought an El Cheapo Generico on eBay. Does a fine job with swiping, etc. I had to remove it from my original WiFi when I bought my 3G. It left no residue and re-attached to my 3G like new. I'm a firm believer that all these protectors are all the same except for the price and respective degree of marketing hype and packaging. They all come from the same Chinese factory.

A few days ago I ordered a non-glare protector from Handhelditems. They have a 3 pack on sale for around $8 shipped (get coupon at techbargains.com). I have not rec'd them yet, but will post results when I do. Unfortunately, they shipped them UPS Innovations which is super slow. If I had known that I might have ponied up another buck for regular ground shipping.

14. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

OMG. how did you install El Cheapo(lol) without air bubbles?
    I had a pack of two, previously, but the install sucked on the large screen.

15. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I've used an antiglare protector on my iPhone for years, and should be getting my iPad antiglare in a few days. I'm looking forward to the feel of the a-g plus the aluminum. I don't think I could get used to having the whole thing protected, the aluminum just feels too damn awesome :)

OTOH, If it was as scratchable as the iPod touch I would definitely full body wrap that mofo.

Regarding bubbles (on non-wet protector applications), if you just take your time and work in an area with no dust in the air (foggy bathroom works the best [your personal foggy bathroom works even better]).

16. tikidoc thread starter macrumors regular

tikidoc

SO far, looks like the most economical name brand is BestSkinsEver. Any complaints about that one? Yes, I will also do a search...

17. Houls macrumors member

Ghost Armor

Im using Ghost Armor on the screen only. I have the apple case for my iPad but the fingerprints and glare on the naked screen were driving me insane. The ghost armor definitely helps. I had it installed at a kiosk outside the Apple Store.