Best push app for Gmail?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by spotsphill, Mar 20, 2010.

1. spotsphill macrumors regular

Sep 26, 2009

I have Gmail pushed to my phone via Google's push instructions (exchange server). Because I want push notifications (pupups), I am in search of the best notification app.

I have used Gpush in the past and it seemed to be decent. I then read that PushGmail was better, so I made the switch and have been using it ever since.

My experience with both of these apps has been that both are prone to outages (sometimes days/weeks long) and delays in pushing notifications to my phone.

Is there a better app? Is there a way to do it without an app?

2. S Brake macrumors regular

Jun 3, 2008
    I was under the impression that googles exchange push stopped working back in October. Does it work now?

I have heard that the app "push for gmail" is pretty good.
  3. spotsphill thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 26, 2009
  4. Uabcar macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2009
    I've been using gpush for the last 6-8mths and have had no problems- In fact, I'm perfectly happy with it as it does just want I need.

They did an upgrade several months ago that made changes that people didn't like all that much - but they got things worked out quickly. I believe some of the other similar apps have some addl features - like quiet hours and more selectable tones. GPush states that these enhancements will come in a future update.
  5. Uabcar macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2009
    btw- I should note that Gpush is only a notification app- it still requires that you to 'pull' from the servers when launching the mail app. I preferred this route to the actual exchange server push functionality because I don't get a ton of email to my gmail acct.