Best push app for Gmail?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by spotsphill, Mar 20, 2010.

1. spotsphill macrumors regular

Greetings,

I have Gmail pushed to my phone via Google's push instructions (exchange server). Because I want push notifications (pupups), I am in search of the best notification app.

I have used Gpush in the past and it seemed to be decent. I then read that PushGmail was better, so I made the switch and have been using it ever since.

My experience with both of these apps has been that both are prone to outages (sometimes days/weeks long) and delays in pushing notifications to my phone.

Is there a better app? Is there a way to do it without an app?

Thanks!

2. S Brake macrumors regular

I was under the impression that googles exchange push stopped working back in October. Does it work now?

I have heard that the app "push for gmail" is pretty good.

3. spotsphill thread starter macrumors regular

4. Uabcar macrumors 6502

I've been using gpush for the last 6-8mths and have had no problems- In fact, I'm perfectly happy with it as it does just want I need.

They did an upgrade several months ago that made changes that people didn't like all that much - but they got things worked out quickly. I believe some of the other similar apps have some addl features - like quiet hours and more selectable tones. GPush states that these enhancements will come in a future update.

5. Uabcar macrumors 6502

btw- I should note that Gpush is only a notification app- it still requires that you to 'pull' from the servers when launching the mail app. I preferred this route to the actual exchange server push functionality because I don't get a ton of email to my gmail acct.