Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6Stringer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Hello All-

I'm upgrading a new 27" iMac to 32GB. This equates to qty four PC3-12800 DDR3 8GB mods. In the past I've learned that going cheap on higher capacity mods has not been a wise move. Who, in your opinion, is manufacturing the highest quality RAM for Mac these days?

6Stringer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Thank you all! I know about Crucial (which is really Micron). They are definitley a manufacturer.

Apple has used Samsung. Anyone on Samsung? A good Samsung provider?

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
This Crucial Ram is guaranteed to be working in the Late 2013 iMac.

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12800-SODIMM-204-Pin-CT2C8G3S160BM/dp/B008LTBJFW

After a long, painful, kernel panic-filled journey through other brands I ended up with the above set in combination with the 16GB of Elpida (now also Micron) stock RAM. It's been running stably for the past 4 months now.

Apple does ship some machines with Samsung and it's good quality as well, but more expensive in my experience.

Regarding the recommendation of 1.5V DDR3 RAM above, make sure you only use DDR3L (1.35V) modules if you plan on running 32GB. The Haswell iMacs may run DDR3 reliably with less than that and inexplicably, Apple's own memory specs page for the Late 2013 iMacs still list DDR3 1.5V but trust me though, they need 1.35V and that's what Apple themselves ship them with.

See this thread for more information:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.