Best (Quietest) 2TB external firewire 800 Drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spiritlevel, Jan 17, 2008.

1. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

I am looking to purchase a 2TB Firwire external drive for Backup.

I have seen offerings from La Cie, Western Digital and Freecom in the UK. Anyone have any idea which one would be quietest and most reliable?

Anyone have any of these 2TB drives that can let me know if they are happy/unhappy with them? Are they quiet?

thanks

2. spiritlevel thread starter macrumors 6502

3. pester1320 macrumors newbie

Yeah im in the same situation also, and to add i was wondering if i would be able to access the 2tb drive from 2 different cpu's via 2 fw ports or 1 fw and one usb but i guess i might have to look into it further but if anyone knows and could share the info that would be great.
    Thanks...

4. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I personally have a 2TB external hard drive and i got myself an enclosure with 2 1TB hard drives from Hitachi. Both LaCie and WD are good but i would go with the LaCie since i find them having better enclosures.

As far as i know that is not possible, you would need to have a network hard drive to do that.

5. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I've been looking at possibly getting a 2TB MyBook Studio Edition.

or, If I can swing it...

A Drobo.

6. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

The Drobo is nice but it was just not for me, i am sure a lot of people will love it and i think it is a great recommendation.

7. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Yeah, I'm hoping I can wait it out until the second generation comes along. Since Apple got into the NAS business with Time Capsule, I'm one hoping that they do something like Drobo some day. You just know they could nail it and make it so user-friendly.

If only in my dreams... :)

UPDATE: The new Drobo has been released. It offers an higher speed processor and 1 USB2.0 port and 2 FW800 ports for daisy-chaining multiple hard drives if needed. Drool. www.drobo.com

8. decal macrumors member

decal

Just about to send my Lacie 1T Bigdisk ethernet drive back. The ethernet kept dropping off and now I can not get the data back off the disk. I have managed to recover some info 1 file at a time before it drops off. But the bigger files take to long. Not very happy with the product, have been offered another one under warranty but have lost faith in it, also have a friend who had a similar problem. The tech guys at Lacie were very helpful and top marks to them for their service.