Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Hello Everyone,

I have been racking my brain on what I should do. I currently have a OWC QX2 which I have not been satisfied with, had it bout 1 year 4 months now. Now that 2tb hard drives have come down, I am thinking of moving over to a Raid 1 instead of 5.

I am aware OWC, Western Digital and G-Technology (there are some other lesser names too I found) have solutions but I was curious what is the best one. I need it to have FW800, Raid 1 and possibly to find one that allows future upgrades, like to 3tb drives.

Western Digital has informed me you cannot upgrade their 2tb(raid 1)/4tb Studio II with bigger drives (that is with 3tb drives expected to come out later this year).

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Tim

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Regarding the drobo, when i was originally looking for the the qx2 I looked into the it. I feel I have come to the conclusion that the more complex a unit is, the more the chance that when something goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong. That is what I am seeing commens about the drobo. People have had to backup their data, lose it 1-5 times, just all sorts of headaches. I have had two issues with the qx2 the last being a pain, and I am waiting for it to come back.

I think I will end up going with the studio ii cause it is simple, and 2tb drive mirrored is enough for now. I have close to 1.5tb but I won't fill that up probably till the summer. By then, a 3tb mirrored version of the studio will be out.

The qx2 is an ok system. I had a glitch in the beginning where I lost my time machine partition and they said it was best to have a seperate backup in case. I thought this was annoying cause when I bout the qx2 it was $800. When you sound that much, you expect it to work (and that was the 3tb model).

This latest issue is what is really bothering me cause I have been without it for over a week now. I came home from vaca last week and turned my imac and qx. A few hours later it started to randomly unmount my partitions and the alarm would buzz and all the lights turned off. I did my tests and could not find anything so I called. They could not tell the problem over the phone so I sent em the cAse. They could not find an issue and asked me to send in the drives. His is where I got worried because I hadn't made a back up in a couple weeks and made some changes to the files. They said it could be the partitions management or one of e drives could have failed. What bothers me is if a drive failed one of the drive lights should turn on, which they didn't.

It's just a headache cause I want something is ease of mind and this has not provided it. For $380 I can get a studio ii and mirror them, which will be enough space for now. Sometimes I think raid is not all worth the hassle though, especially raid 5.

Like I aid above, I ink simplicity wins every day in computers.

Any other raid solutions out there besides the studio drobo and qx? I wish there was a good choice cause I would really like the option to upgrade the drives when they are full.

Later

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.