Best RAID1 Thunderbolt HD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dcmontgomery, Oct 20, 2015.

1. dcmontgomery macrumors newbie

dcmontgomery

Hello. Looking for recommendations for a reliable, speedy RAID1 Thunderbolt HD? I'll be using this as a working hard drive with large Lightroom catalogs, video projects on Premiere as well as editing large Photoshop images.

I was looking at some of the options from OWC before I thought I'd look elsewhere and saw some from G-Technology. Desired operating capacity is 5TB.

This is not meant to be a backup drive as I backup offsite in the cloud and on other drives. Just looking for recommendations on what everyone thinks is a high quality mirrored RAID Thunderbolt drive. Thanks!

2. Jimmdean macrumors 6502

IMO, if you're looking at just a RAID-1, consider saving yourself some pennies and include USB-3 enclosures in your search. There's just not a whole lot of benefit to Thunderbolt with spinning disks unless you're looking at RAID-0 (or larger arrays).

3. dcmontgomery thread starter macrumors newbie

dcmontgomery

Thanks! So is there any benefit to a mirrored drive connecting via Thunderbolt if my primary purpose is working with images and video? What about down the road? I'm trying to future proof my workflow as much as I can.

I currently use an OWC mirrored drive via an eSATA connection with an early 2009 Mac Pro. Would USB 3.0 be faster? I've read mixed things. At least maintaining the status quo would be what I want, but if I can go faster that would be nice too.

4. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

I use a OWC Elite Pro Dual and its been flawless with 2x 4TB |HGST drives read/write speeds are 300/350 respectively. I highly recommend it.